Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm really enjoying my new 14 Trek Fuel ex7 and after some component upgrades I am wanting to go tubeless. My LBS has a set of shimano novals ($700) that they say will be a great upgrade but I have read some bad reviews on here. Any suggestions on a nice lightweight 29in tubeless wheel set in a price range of $700-1000?
Thank you

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm really enjoying my new 14 Trek Fuel ex7 and after some component upgrades I am wanting to go tubeless. My LBS has a set of shimano novals ($700) that they say will be a great upgrade but I have read some bad reviews on here. Any suggestions on a nice lightweight 29in tubeless wheel set in a price range of $700-1000?
Thank you
You already have tubeless ready rims on your bike, are you simply looking for something lighter and nicer?

If that is the case, you can get a really nice handbuilt set of wheels with tubeless rims in that price range. Keep in mind that most nice wheelsets require you to use a XT level cassette to prevent damaging the freehub body to factor that price ($60-$100) into your decision.

Here is an example of a solid wheelset for $700
BikeLugs.com

You have lots of options here, in your price range I would look at in your price range:
Rims-Pacenti TL28, Stans Arch EX, WTB KOM, Velocity Blunt 28
Hubs-White Industries, Hope, Hadley
Spokes and Nipples-Sapim Race, DT Competition, Wheelsmith DB14

There are many online wheelbuilders if your LBS doesn't have a good one. Mike at Lacemine29 is often mentioned on MTBR and gets good reviews for his work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response I use Jensonusa and pricepoint usually and do like Crank brothers iodine/cobalts along with Mavic crossmax St. However having a wheel set built does sound cool, does Mike at lacemine29 have a website?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Thank you for your response I use Jensonusa and pricepoint usually and do like Crank brothers iodine/cobalts along with Mavic crossmax St. However having a wheel set built does sound cool, does Mike at lacemine29 have a website?
Crank Bros, Easton, Mavic, Etc all use proprietary parts that may require you to wait for parts or even worse send them into the manufacturer. I know because I use to be a warranty manager at a large shop and did this often.

Handbuilt wheels use standard parts that are easily replaced in the event of an accident or failure.

Here are some custom builders online
Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels
Dave's Wheels Speed Dream Custom Bicycle Wheels Hand built by Dave Thomas
Wheelbuilder.com - Handcrafted Precision Custom Bicycle Race Wheels
CUSTOM HAND BUILT BICYCLE WHEELS Built By Professionals - Prowheelbuider.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts