Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Observation:

I'm noticing in the 29er board and other 29er related pages a lot of older gentlemen (50+) sporting full beards. It would appear the target demographic is very simular to that of recumbent riders. Has anyone else noticed this? Are 29er's the recumbents of the offroad sect?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
13,943 Posts
I dunno but I'm 52 and I want a 29er.

No beard, though. :(

--Sparty

[shame]P.S. I own a recumbent, too. (Haven't ridden it in a year or so... got it five years ago after I bulged a disc in my back and couldn't ride a "normal" bike, otherwise I never would have considered one. But you know what? The dang thing's a blast!) :eek: [/shame]

P.P.S. My back healed up 100%. In fact, I've completed the Cascade Cream Puff three times on a regular bike (including once on a SS) since '01. But the recumbent remains in my quiver... My policy: never sell a bike. :D

Professor said:
Observation:

I'm noticing in the 29er board and other 29er related pages a lot of older gentlemen (50+) sporting full beards. It would appear the target demographic is very simular to that of recumbent riders. Has anyone else noticed this? Are 29er's the recumbents of the offroad sect?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Professor said:
Observation:

I see very few beards on anyone, besides they make you look older.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Professor said:
Are 29er's the recumbents of the offroad sect?
Nope...but I imagine that just like a lot of 20 year-olds can't afford titanium bikes, the 29'er crowd are likely more mature riders who have the cash to jump into a new niche of bicycles and/or have been riding long enough to know what they want out of a MTB.

However, I'm a bit puzzled by this "new" craze...where were all you 29'ers when Dave Wiens was racing a 700c Diamond Back back in the early 90's? :D :D :D

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
13,943 Posts
Hey man...

VegasSingleSpeed said:
...this "new" craze...where were all you 29'ers when Dave Wiens was racing a 700c Diamond Back back in the early 90's? :D :D :D
I did that! I rode a Trek 970 (at least I think it was a 970... my memory ain't so good no mo'...) off-road for a year back in the mid-90's. It worked pretty good with 45mm Panaracer Smoke tires, but I had to shave the side knobs off the rear tire for the sake of frame clearance.

Does this qualify me as a visionary? ;)

Is there a monetary award involved? :D

--Sparty

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
When I was younger and wore sailors clothes, I had a nice bushy beard. I also had a short beard when I used to ride my Harley.

Now I am older and ride 29'ers I don't have one.

[ I go so fast now it would probably rip the hairs right off my chin.. :) ]

Maybe when I get real old and take up knitting I will grow another one. :)

Just lately I have taken to shaving my leg and wearing unpadded lycra nicks.

Do you think i'm typical of 29'er riders? I hope so, because I want to "fit in" and become one of the "sect".

Maybe I should get a tattoo saying 29'er on my leg?

Next week, i'm going to go buy a recumbent. A 29'er SS...of course. :)

R.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Well, well, it looks like somebody got their butt handed to them by an old guy on a 29er. Maybe when you're old enough to grow a beard you might actually try one and discover the benefits yourself. Danged big mouthed whippersnappers, don't make gramps make a fool out of you again on your next trail ride. That'll teach ya to stop making wisecracks about your elders!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Sparticus said:
I did that! I rode a Trek 970 (at least I think it was a 970... my memory ain't so good no mo'...) off-road for a year back in the mid-90's. It worked pretty good with 45mm Panaracer Smoke tires, but I had to shave the side knobs off the rear tire for the sake of frame clearance.

Does this qualify me as a visionary? ;)

Is there a monetary award involved? :D

--Sparty
They were Trek 750s and I was riding mine as my mtb, too. Usually with Specialized Tricross II 700x45 tires.

VSS should PayPal us both $29!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I want my visionary $$

shiggy said:
They were Trek 750s and I was riding mine as my mtb, too. Usually with Specialized Tricross II 700x45 tires.

I was riding PCH on my Trek 1200 and decided to go on was to become road kill so I went back through the hills on dirt (Sycamore Canyon on skinny road tires). As I crested the last climb and shifted up a ranger said "Slow Down!". :D

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
13,943 Posts
shiggy said:
They were Trek 750s ... VSS should PayPal us both $29!
Yeah, that's it -- Trek 750s! Now I remember! :eek:

$29... hmmm... I remember when that was enough money to fill a car's gas tank. Three times! Why I oughta....!!!

Gimme that 29er, dang it!

:D:D:D

--Sparty
(Feelin' older by the minute :()

·
artistic...
7,603 Posts
Fixintogo said:
I'd say that 29ers are the future of the offroad sect, beards or no beards.
if you like 22.8 top tubes, 41.5 wheelbases, 120 stems and you are shorter than 5.9, they won't fit you very well.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
Nope. Just got mine a short while ago. I'm younger than 50.
Last time I tried to grow a soup strainer it was a nasty experiment. My face don't grow those things too well or too evenly.

·
Registered
776 Posts
shiggy said:

So you had a Trek 700c MTB...what happened in the 10+ years since you fell of the wagon and jumped back on? I think I'll keep the $29 and hit up Roberto's a few times for dinner later this week :p

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
VegasSingleSpeed said:
So you had a Trek 700c MTB...still doesn't change the fact Dave Wiens rode a 700c Diamond Back around '91-'92 :D I think I'll keep the $29 and hit up Roberto's a few times for dinner later this week :p
I was riding mine in '90-'92. Barely touched a 26" wheel bike during that time. Same time as Weins, different place.

The new "craze" is because a variety of wider tires and frames they will fit in are now available. 45mm was the biggest you could get then.

·
Registered
776 Posts
shiggy said:
The new "craze" is because ...
It's pretty clear why 29'ers are popular now; the comment was more so an observation that the idea isn't new, by any means, and maybe a small reminder about how quickly 29'ers faded out of the scene over a decade ago...I certainly don't see that happening now. Completely different market..."Starbucks Society": e.g. the people willing to pay $5 for a coffee are also willing to pay $1500+ for a custom 29" single-speed with esoteric low-production components; you didn't exactly see this trend in the early 90's.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts