Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm choosing (was choosing) parts/frame for my new project and find the paucity of choices compared to 26ers a bit of a head scratcher. So where are the choices? Is the market too insignificant for manufacturers to offer product? How does one rectify this state of affairs? WHY NOT VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLAR. As I reflect on the amount that I'll be spending this year on my cycling fetish the big bucks are going into the 29 category. This is consistently one of the most popular forums on this site and this should speak to something, right? So, perhaps if we can demonstrate where the money goes the industry will wake up and follow. I'll start with my estimated total for the next four months. Shudder, swallow, jerk......$2500.00. I allow myself one new bike per year. This year it's a 29er. Where does your cycling ching go?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Good point Axis...

As a retailer, the choices are getting deeper and deeper as this "fringe" market becomes more mainstream. Many customers have ridden 29ers on the coaxing of us and come back completely excited about what they can do. We're seeing more and more parts available and I know that for us, 29ers are here to stay.

I'm betting that there are a ton more items available than what you are seeing because most shops choose not to stock a bunch of 29er wheels and parts as of yet.

Your main issue should be forks, rims, and tires. We're liking the Maverick SC32 fork, and for rims there is a host of different wheel options available. Now, tire's is a different story. Manufacturers have made great strides in bringing quality 29" tires to market, but there are still some favorite 26" tires I'd love to see available in 29".

Alphabicycle.com

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PattD said:
As a retailer, the choices are getting deeper and deeper as this "fringe" market becomes more mainstream. Many customers have ridden 29ers on the coaxing of us and come back completely excited about what they can do. We're seeing more and more parts available and I know that for us, 29ers are here to stay.

I'm betting that there are a ton more items available than what you are seeing because most shops choose not to stock a bunch of 29er wheels and parts as of yet.

Your main issue should be forks, rims, and tires. We're liking the Maverick SC32 fork, and for rims there is a host of different wheel options available. Now, tire's is a different story. Manufacturers have made great strides in bringing quality 29" tires to market, but there are still some favorite 26" tires I'd love to see available in 29".

Alphabicycle.com
Thanks bro. Forks, rims, tires and lets not forget production frames. My intent is to generalize what direction the money is going. Who knows what new great product will emerge if we can demonstate that the R and D is going to payoff in the end with profits for the effort and $ spent.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Come on people. I know I've listened to people pine on about the lack of variety in the 29 world. Step up and represent your interests or be satisfied with a small handfull of tire choices, rim choices, poor competition in the market, etc., etc. I know you want more. Don't let this thread languish or never complain about the lack of lack of choice again.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Axis II said:
Come on people. I know I've listened to people pine on about the lack of variety in the 29 world. Step up and represent your interests or be satisfied with a small handfull of tire choices, rim choices, poor competition in the market, etc., etc. I know you want more. Don't let this thread languish or never complain about the lack of lack of choice again.
This whole board is about that. I do not see the need to lump everything into one new thread when they can be, and have been, better discussed individually.

703 Posts
that dog won't hunt

It's been beaten to cyberspace death here in these threads. I don't even look at the selection as 'limited' I look at it as a adequate, controlled growth. We have the eyes and ears of many mainstream company reps, and small-market custom builders, all represented here and seeing our plea's, and they're responding with good business sense. What else do you want? Web suppliers put 29er products on sale, we buy them out of stock...Surly can barely keep up with demand, likewise with Fisher. Custom builders have 3 month to 2 year wait times...I'd say that we've made our point, the balls not in our court anymore.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i don't subcribe to the idea that 29ers aren't a valid choice due to parts availablity/options.

Forks: we have plenty of world class options
Rims: tons of rims choices, could use some technology improvements in the areas of tubless
frames: no limit, there is no shortage here
tires: too many choices to keep track of, unless you are the shiggster. Some ask for more options on the BIG side.

None of these mean we have overy limited part/option availablity. Certainly not enough to warrenty not riding a 29er.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Humpf...

shiggy said:
This whole board is about that. I do not see the need to lump everything into one new thread when they can be, and have been, better discussed individually.
Perhaps this board is about that in a general sense partly. This board, to my mind, more broadly is a place where people come together to connect, share ideas and information and not necessarily engage in advocacy unless they are SPAMing. Yes, we have bemoaned the fact that we need more choices in other threads and those other threads did not demonstrate in a concrete way (read: money) the market potential that exists. And by the way, isn't it premature to say that other threads have discussed this topic better when the discussion here hasn't even got off the ground?

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MichiganClydesdale said:
It's been beaten to cyberspace death here in these threads. I don't even look at the selection as 'limited' I look at it as a adequate, controlled growth. We have the eyes and ears of many mainstream company reps, and small-market custom builders, all represented here and seeing our plea's, and they're responding with good business sense. What else do you want? Web suppliers put 29er products on sale, we buy them out of stock...Surly can barely keep up with demand, likewise with Fisher. Custom builders have 3 month to 2 year wait times...I'd say that we've made our point, the balls not in our court anymore.
I'm glad to hear that you are happy with the status quo. What else do I want? More of course.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Humpf X 2

shiggy said:
Humpf yourself.

This thread, for one, ( http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=149548 ) does a pretty good job and it is less than a week old. I know there are many other similar threads.
Yeah, I read that thread. It's a great one for specifying what we want/need. That's not my intent here. My intent here is to demonstrate where the money is going and how much so that we can advocate from a position of strength. Additionally, we may not necessarily know what we could be benefiting from at this point and that's where research and product development can help; you get that when organizations can see that those efforts will be rewarded. So lets show them that they will be rewarded.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I am spending a good $2,000

Axis II said:
Yeah, I read that thread. It's a great one for specifying what we want/need. That's not my intent here. My intent here is to demonstrate where the money is going and how much so that we can advocate from a position of strength. Additionally, we may not necessarily know what we could be benefiting from at this point and that's where research and product development can help; you get that when organizations can see that those efforts will be rewarded. So lets show them that they will be rewarded.
Building up my soulcraft holy roller SS. But other than rims and tires, everything else could have been for a 26er. Soooo, I am guessing about 100 bucks for the hoops and maybe another 80 for the tires. Thats it. Oh and of course the frame but I am getting that for free because I won it. Wait, 300 on the steel fork from souldcraft. Is this what you want????

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Loki said:
Building up my soulcraft holy roller SS. But other than rims and tires, everything else could have been for a 26er. Soooo, I am guessing about 100 bucks for the hoops and maybe another 80 for the tires. Thats it. Oh and of course the frame but I am getting that for free because I won it. Wait, 300 on the steel fork from souldcraft. Is this what you want????
Great. You got it mostly. I'm looking for total dollars spent on 29er bikes so no need to exclude crossover components that will work on a 26. Sounds like a nice ride. Have fun.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,374 Posts
Custom Reynolds 853 Pro frame, (I built it, figure retail of $800-1000), Full XTR, Chris King hubs, DT hoops, Rockshox Reba, Thomson stem+post, FSA carbon bars, I'm gonna say around $4500. The ride? Priceless=:)
Problem is, I guess the industry folks will look at this, and say, hmmmm most of that is nonspecific to 29ers, so will it help? Let's see.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
All you need are unit volume

numbers. That said, I don't know who reports them, who records them and, if recorded, whether or not the records are broken down between 26" and 29" bikes.

A full bling 29er costs the same as a full bling 26er of similar style - i.e. SS (rigid or sprung) or FS. To illustrate, let's say a a full bling FS costs $5K and the full bling SS costs $3.5K - primary difference between DT and dampers (obviously).

I don't think you're giving the big mfrs enough credit as to their knowledge of the potential marketplace. Like anything else, it takes a few pioneers to get things rolling, validate the idea and then get the masses to sign on. The big companies aren't concerned about how much early adopters are willing to spend - because they always spend a lot. Their bottom lines are driven first by scale then by worrying about relative profit per unit. Ego is also involved.

If you're an industry person I'm sure there must be trade stats on unit volumes by mfr/brand that can be cobbled together.

G

·
By George!

ozlongboarder said:
I would spend upto $3000 for a 6" frame, 6" fork, a 2.5 tire, and a new set of wheels. All other parts would come of the old bike.
I think this is the kind of answer Axis was hoping to get. Oz is willing to pony some serious cash for 29'er technology that either isn't currently on the market, or is not widespread.

Why not entertain this question here, this is a forum afterall, isn't it?

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
SingleTrackSal said:
I think this is the kind of answer Axis was hoping to get. Oz is willing to pony some serious cash for 29'er technology that either isn't currently on the market, or is not widespread.

Why not entertain this question here, this is a forum afterall, isn't it?
So what are you going to buy? :)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
OK, my $.02, or should that be $5K? ;)

I've got an Asylum frame on order. I see they've lowered the price of these by a whole $1 (from 1900 to 1899). Woohoo! :rolleyes:

I've got a Reba, FSA K-Force cranks, SRAM XO, Thompson post, and Marta SL's to put on it and I'm trying to decide on wheels (Industry9 or CK/Salsa or Bonty Mustang), tires, bars, stem, etc.

Heck, looks like maybe more than $5K, OUCH!

Hope this is what you're looking for Axis. ;)

Cheers!
-Ian

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.