Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I just swapped my 30lb 5" trail bike for a 35lb 6" trail bike and am looking at building a lighter bike for endurance races - I am thinking about a 29er. Are there many ridden around here? Specifically, Ringwood, Ramapo, Wawayanda, Allamuchy etc. How are they on the rocky, technical trails? Are people on geared? singlespeed? FS? I like the price of the Zion and Soma steel 29ers and reviews have been solid but I wonder if I should save up for a FS 29er instead? My other options are a short travel 26er or a steel 26er hardtail but I am leaning to something different for me and a 29er. Any opinions are appreciated! Thanks!

·
mtbnj.com
414 Posts
post this over on mtbnj, there are a bunch of us on 29ers,ss, geared and what not from all over this wonderful state

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hell Yeah

wilks said:
Hello all, I just swapped my 30lb 5" trail bike for a 35lb 6" trail bike and am looking at building a lighter bike for endurance races - I am thinking about a 29er. Are there many ridden around here? Specifically, Ringwood, Ramapo, Wawayanda, Allamuchy etc. How are they on the rocky, technical trails? Are people on geared? singlespeed? FS? I like the price of the Zion and Soma steel 29ers and reviews have been solid but I wonder if I should save up for a FS 29er instead? My other options are a short travel 26er or a steel 26er hardtail but I am leaning to something different for me and a 29er. Any opinions are appreciated! Thanks!
Personally I have had a Scalpel for 4 yrs and an Enduro that I was racing/riding. Then 2 yrs ago moved into a new home that backs up Wawayanda and the trail head is right out my drive way.

I would never go back to those bikes because I now own two great 29ers without gears. The bumps absorbed by the big wheels would be comparable to a soft tail of sorts. Either way I have seen plenty of them up here especially if your a bigger rider it's a no brainer.

PISSOFF Indy Fab SS 29er with a shock
On One SS Rigid

·
Registered
75 Posts
For Sale

I am selling a Surly Karate Monkey 29er fully loaded. This is a great bike to get you started on a 29er at a good price. let me know if you are interested and I will get you more info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.