Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gravity Droppers are .....

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
A Surly Maverick
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m having very serious thoughts about getting a gravity Dropper for my `Moth build.

I like to drop the seatpost on desents and have used both the Titec Scoper Pyro (telescopic post) and the Maverick Speed ball(won`t fit the `Moth :( ).

Anyone use them or are they considered to be `unsportsman like` by 29er riders?:D

All opinions and experiences welcome !:thumbsup:

·
A Surly Maverick
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I live in Cumbria on the border of the English Lake District, things often get steep/rocky and technical all at once!:eek:

I personally find that lowering my `post allows a better position on the bike and hence MORE contol and LESS endos !

I am aware that the 29er can reduce the risk of endos somewhat, but having said that I`m not that fond of my Dentist that I won`t try and increase the odds in my own favour.

I always thought the bar mounted switch for the `dropper made alot of sense for those OH $h1t ! moments when you realise you need to get your a$$ back mighty quick or you`re going to eat it !

Just my two pence(or cents) worth.;)

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Whilst I think the GD is a "good thing", I have never really needed one myself. I just use my seat post QR if the descent is big and gnarly.

R.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
If there was a GD which was 100% reliable and weighed nothing I would use it.

The worst thing about relying on the QR is just that I forget to use it. So I find myself halfway through some horrible tech section with the saddle way up, or locked into a climb with it way down.

On the other hand, riding stuff with the saddle up certainly improves your technique.

·
Registered
451 Posts
pinkheadedbug said:
If there was a GD which was 100% reliable and weighed nothing I would use it.

The worst thing about relying on the QR is just that I forget to use it. So I find myself halfway through some horrible tech section with the saddle way up, or locked into a climb with it way down.

On the other hand, riding stuff with the saddle up certainly improves your technique.
Before the Gravity dropper there was an adjuster you could use on the fly, with your standard QR, guys on the vintage forum know what I am talking about,,, weight is minimal, design simplistic, and originally brought to you from Joe Breeze
I still run them on my bikes, and am putting one on my Mary XC

It is not to tough to stand up on the pedals while riding open the release,, the saddle pops up and close the release,,,,,,,,,,,,

I would not clamp one on a Carbon Fiber seat post however..... but hey I am a Clyde,,, I dont have Carbon Fiber Seat posts and my saddle is a Brooks..

Attachments

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Never really understood GDs, or Hite Rites back when those were the rage. I've hardly ever felt the need to drop the saddle. If the going gets that tough, my ass goes behind the saddle where it belongs!

Or maybe I just don't ride as steep or gnarly terrain as the rest of you guys.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Get one trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Man I got one on my Epic 29er its hard to imagine riding without it. I did research for on GD and Rotor cranks before getting them and those are two things will always be on my bikes.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
irascible lummox
158 Posts
Huh?

Dr Feelygood ! said:
I`m not that fond of my Dentist
I didn't think there were any dentists in England. Maybe there just aren't any good ones. :lol: Hey, if you want a gravity dropper and think it'll make riding more enjoyable, then get one. To hell with everyone else and whatever they might think.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
It's a good thang. I've been playing with a Maverick Speedball with remote.

For 26er all mountain bikes, these things are changing the world. For 29ers, it really depends on how much technical descending you do. Some FS 29ers ride a little high. So this would be a welcome tool.

The Maverick is coool. Now that it has a remote the only disadvantages are $260 price and only available in 31.6 or 30.9

How it works: You push on the remote lever and the seat goes down with your weight on it. Take your weight off the saddle and the saddle goes up.

Advantages:
- less play than a gravity dropper
- more robust (the small diameter gravity dropper tends to break
- to get the saddle up, just unweight (on gravity dropper, you have to push down first)
- finally, you can stop the post at any point of it's travel.
- stronger! that's why they only sell it in big diameter sizes

I'm not against the gravity-dropper btw. I ride with a few folks who use em and I've seen how it has improved their descending.

So there, y'all get the early scoop on a review I'm doing. Like I said, this would be a great tool for FS 29ers and get you down low, 'in the wheels'.

francois

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
slowideclyde said:
Hey, if you want a gravity dropper and think it'll make riding more enjoyable, then get one. To hell with everyone else and whatever they might think.
It's all personal preference right? :rolleyes:

Sorry but this comment is one of my pet peeves. The greatest thing about this sport and this site is the sharing of recommendations and personal experiences.

Listening to a dozen people who've actually used the product may actually be better than buying a product blind.

francois

·
A Surly Maverick
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses Guys !:D

B-Ray, pardon my ignorance, but what are ROTOR cranks please? They look interesting!

There ARE Dentists in the UK........they just all Don`t drive Porsche`s like in the USA !:eek:

·
Registered
937 Posts
I've got a Gravity Dropper, and I love it. Sure it is a little heavier than a regular seatpost, but it's worth it to me. It's extremely easy to use, 2nd nature now. I'm not sure why it matters if it's on a 26er or 29er? I've got one on all my bikes and it really comes in handy on steep and/or technical sections.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The Rotor Cranks are the butta on the toast for me. They eliminate the dead spot in the pedal stroke means that u are always in the pushing phase of the pedal stroke no washing out on super steep climbs.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.