Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my geared Monkey all the way from Dallas to Old Fort, NC this past Sunday to ride in the Assault on Mt. Mitchell. I saw a couple of other 9ers on GF and got lots of positive coments on the Monkey from other riders.

Anyone else there?

Took me 11 hours to finish!

Mike

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yep! Didn't like the 29er on the steep, downhill switchbacks...need to work on that balance as the bike is very different from a "baby bike". And the 'zoke is just too flexy on those downhills...can't wait for a BW.8.

The Titus was awesome on the long climbs. My friend (on a GF 29er) broke his chain at the VERY beginning, and we were holding up the course sweeper as we fixed it! So we were behind EVERYONE up Kitsuma...had to try to run or ride past folks were we could. Gained plenty of ground on the climbs, came in just over 7 hrs.

It was an interesting first event of this type...and a good warm-up for the Shenandoah Mtn 100!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fantastic that both of you road the Assault. This is one of the rides I hope to manage before I get too old and die. Did either of you run something like the Mavic Speed City wheels? What tires did you ride? I usually would use my road bike for an event like the Assault....what I have found in riding my Supercal29 on long road trips is that my hands fatigue because I don't have all the different positions I can get on my road bike bars. How do either of you handle that on the 29er??

Steve

·
Registered
111 Posts
And Kenny thought you were just..

scared and that is why you were not at the Anniston Race!!! I will make sure to tell him that you were at something a little tougher.

You coming back to Arkansas anytime soon? What about Ruston in November, I need a mark for that race to get me off my butt and start training smarter. I could do Kenny proud if I took you on the SS. Oh yea, I am the guy from Louisiana you met in Russelville. Later BK

MTBDOC said:
Yep! Didn't like the 29er on the steep, downhill switchbacks...need to work on that balance as the bike is very different from a "baby bike". And the 'zoke is just too flexy on those downhills...can't wait for a BW.8.

The Titus was awesome on the long climbs. My friend (on a GF 29er) broke his chain at the VERY beginning, and we were holding up the course sweeper as we fixed it! So we were behind EVERYONE up Kitsuma...had to try to run or ride past folks were we could. Gained plenty of ground on the climbs, came in just over 7 hrs.

It was an interesting first event of this type...and a good warm-up for the Shenandoah Mtn 100!

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
mtbkendall said:
scared and that is why you were not at the Anniston Race!!! I will make sure to tell him that you were at something a little tougher.

You coming back to Arkansas anytime soon? What about Ruston in November, I need a mark for that race to get me off my butt and start training smarter. I could do Kenny proud if I took you on the SS. Oh yea, I am the guy from Louisiana you met in Russelville. Later BK
Also, if you went from Dallas to NC for a endurance race, you absolutely MUUUUUST come to Arkasnas for the Ouachita Challenge....how could you not?????

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did it on the Mutinyman.
Finished up in just under nine hours.
Saw the GF, but missed the KM.
I loved the switchbacks, just had to
hit them with speed while sliding around.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have done the O'Challenge the past two years...

... but on a Klein Attitude...

See you next year on a 29er!

Mike

ncj01 said:
Also, if you went from Dallas to NC for a endurance race, you absolutely MUUUUUST come to Arkasnas for the Ouachita Challenge....how could you not?????

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep...

I rode a geared Monkey with Mavic SpeedCity wheels. Checked them this morning and they look great. For reference I am 6'5", 225lbs. The SpeedCitys with the motos (and any other wire bead tire) are to be trusted on extreme off-road adventures.

After some months and some failure with the Nanos I purchaed a set of wire bead Motos for this event. I felt much more secure overall and the traction was fine (except for the wet roots) I was torn between lower pressure for the roots or higher pressure for the climbs. I went with 50 in the back and 40 in the front. Again, I am a big rider.

There was a bunch of hike a bike and the weight of the Monkey did not seem to be a factor after the 11 hours. Actually I felt I could go on for another 3-4 hours with no problem. My goal was just to finish and not explode on the hills being a TX "flatlander". My smartest preparation was road riding in the TX hill country agaist the constant south wind for 6 hours at a stretch.

It is a long drive... not sure if I will make it next year. But I am glad to have this one under my belt!

Mike

biker_myers said:
Fantastic that both of you road the Assault. This is one of the rides I hope to manage before I get too old and die. Did either of you run something like the Mavic Speed City wheels? What tires did you ride? I usually would use my road bike for an event like the Assault....what I have found in riding my Supercal29 on long road trips is that my hands fatigue because I don't have all the different positions I can get on my road bike bars. How do either of you handle that on the 29er??

Steve

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Curious....

What ratios did you run? And how was that 9 mile fireroad climb?

Mike

SSTed29r said:
Did it on the Mutinyman.
Finished up in just under nine hours.
Saw the GF, but missed the KM.
I loved the switchbacks, just had to
hit them with speed while sliding around.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Bike set-up: I have been really disappointed with the flex in the Bontrager wheels; given the technical nature of the downhills, I rode SERIOUSLY HEAVY wheels: 36 spoke Velocity Glider touring wheels...the front is over 1000 g, the rear another 200!!! THAT is heavy, but they are very stiff, and can just smack things without moving around. I've not felt safe on steep terrain w/ too much flex. Handlebars: Maxim risers w/ Singletrack Solutions bar-ends. Cannot imagine trying a road bike on this course, unless you really want to walk a lot of technical terrain. Also I'm surprised that the Speedcity's didn't flex too much on this terrain.

Anniston: yeah, I wanted to support the race closer to home, BUT, considering I am going to do the SM 100, I wanted the experience and effort...I'll tell Kenny myself!

Definitely will do the Ouachita Challenge next year (although that tends to conflict with Chickasaw Trace AMBC race that Kenny and cohorts put on in Columbia, TN)...and that I will do on the SS. Just wanted more gearing for the steeper terrain of the Assault. Actually, the LONG climbs would have been okay on the SS, but there were enough short, steep areas that would have required even more walking than I already had to do. And, my 29er SS has not been built yet...come on, Steve!

This event is one of those things that makes you ask yourself WHY during the middle, but as you come in to the finish, all those questions are forgotten......

......in addicts, we call that "euphoric recall": forgetting the pain and remembering only the good times!

·
Registered
54 Posts
SoloWithOthers said:
What ratios did you run? And how was that 9 mile fireroad climb?

Mike
I ran a 29 X 20 and wished I had the 30 or 32t on.
Just needed more everywhere. 29t was too spinnie.
The gravel roads are no problem with me. I used to
commute 14 miles on gravel in the Highlands area
and love the climbs.
At Pisgah I ride 32X20, 18t at Tsali/Dupont.

I bombed the descents. Only four people passed me
while descending, one was my girlfriend at the end
of Kitsuma coming back in. No kidding
I run Pauls hubs on Dyads, and they are rock solid.
And the Nano folding tires (I have never had an issue
with) Hooked up like being on rails all the way down.

Ted

·
Registered
111 Posts
Damn, I can be so dense!!!!! I confused this event with the road ride Assault on Mount Mitchell starting in Spartanburg, SC. I was so confused by your tire choice..........could not figure out why you were running mountain tires and not slicks! I never even realized there was an off-road ride as well. Now I have to add another event to conquer before I die or get to old and febble. At 48 years young I better get started soon:)

Steve

SoloWithOthers said:
I rode a geared Monkey with Mavic SpeedCity wheels. Checked them this morning and they look great. For reference I am 6'5", 225lbs. The SpeedCitys with the motos (and any other wire bead tire) are to be trusted on extreme off-road adventures.

After some months and some failure with the Nanos I purchaed a set of wire bead Motos for this event. ..................
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts