Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been beaten to death here. I did a search and checked the faq thread and didn't see anything.

One of my friends is looking for a new mountain bike as a graduation present. I'm steering him towards an x-caliber. Are there any other bikes in that range ($1000) that I'm forgetting about?
My bigger question is:Is there anything about 29ers that makes them less suited to less experienced riders? My friend has done a fair amount of riding, but only in spurts, he's not a regular rider, but when he rides, he rides pretty hard. And most of it has tended to be in his terms "a little out of control." I'm just wondering, is there something that makes 29ers a better sell for a more experienced rider, or will someone like my friend appreciate the advantages?

I personally am pretty sold on them and my next bike will be one for sure. I've been lucky enough to put in some pretty significant time on a Mt Tam and have been majorly impressed, but I've been riding for 10 years.

Any thoughts?

YO MAMA

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Chequama Mama said:
Sorry if this has already been beaten to death here. I did a search and checked the faq thread and didn't see anything.

One of my friends is looking for a new mountain bike as a graduation present. I'm steering him towards an x-caliber. Are there any other bikes in that range ($1000) that I'm forgetting about?
If he would like Single Speeding, don't overlook the Gary Fisher Rig at sub $1000. Also, a Surly Karate Monkey frame could be built up as a SS or a geared bike and stay within the $1000 budget range with appropriate level components and wheelset.

All worthy bikes for the price.

Nice graduation present. Are you buying? :D

BB

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
In my experience...

29ers are great for beginner/intermediate riders. What many more advanced people see as disadvantages (long wheelbase, less "flickability", etc) are big plusses for the novice rider. "Flickability" equates to "crashing a lot more" for someone who is new to mountain biking and trying to ride rough or technical terrain.

I don't think I'd recommend a 26" wheel bike to any new or moderately experienced rider who would fit well on a 29er, unless they just want to ride downhill or dirtjump or something. So to answer your question, I think you're on the right track. The KM or Mt. Tam would both work great for your friend, and would easily make your budget.

-Walt

·
Beer it does a body good!
250 Posts
Try mine

A little off subject but I'm a couple hours south in central Wisconsin. Come on down and try mine. I have a 22" Surly Karate Monkey that a preson could build simalar for about $1000. Its geared at his time but may change to SS soon.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Beginner rider on a 29er

A beginner rider may well have a bit of an advantage on a 29er. The reason is that an experienced rider may have many years of practice developing the skills needed to not go flying over the bars on the evil kiddie wheels. It took me about 6-8 months to overcome these negative impulses that the hated wheels had ingrained into my lower brain in the previous 18 years!

29erchico

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input y'all!

I figured that it would work well for my friend, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

No, I'm not buying. I'm graduating too as a matter of fact and sure as hell don't have that kind of money. I think his parents are hooking him up with the bike.
Me personally? I'm asking for a lifetime subscription to dirt rag for graduation.

YO MAMA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.