Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
depends on the bike. My 29'ers are both XC bikes so weight is an issue and there's no real need for one. But if yours is setup as a trail bike or AM then it would be a good idea.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
What bike are we talking about?

They can be handy on some bikes/trails no matter what the wheel size.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I ordered trek x caliber and will be mainly trail bike for me. I just didn't see any dropper posts in the treads I have been looking at. I don't think many will class the bike as a trail bike but I will ride everywhere except shuttle and lift runs

·
Plays with tools
4,646 Posts
Wouldn't be caught dead with one of those on any bike that lives in my garage full time.

That said I understand why people like them. I've just never felt the need to lower my seat mid ride.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a Gravity Dropper on my RIP 9 and love it. Flick of the switch and I drop it 1" for the fast flowy downhills, or 3" for the gnarly technical ones. Another flick at the bottom and it's back up full mast. Never even have to slow down at all.

Yes, it' adds a full pound to my bike, but worth every ounce in my opinion. My riding partner finally got one and keeps saying "Why didn't I get one of these years ago? "

·
Registered
222 Posts
I use a dropper post and love it. Now, whenever I ride a bike without a dropper post I set the seat really low. On some bikes I might look like a clown and use more effort pedaling up hill, but once you get used to the clearance a dropper post gives you going downhill, you never want to be without that clearance:thumbsup:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Don't use one on my 29er, but do on my 5"/6" 26er trail bike.

I mainly use the 29er for endurance races so haven't come across any tracks where I wished I had a dropper on it so far, but I rate it on my other bike.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Nope dropper posts are strcitly prohibited on 29ers, they are only for 26ers since they're a crutch :rolleyes: Remind me, how's this 29er specific? :???:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
i use one, gravity dropper bullet proof had it since late 2009, its great to able to change positions, its heavy but it does what its suppose to...try one you might like it...

·
the air is thin up here..
738 Posts
That bike has a 27.2mm seatpost... I don't believe drop posts exist for that small size. Someone please correct me!
EDIT: corrected!

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Gravity Dropper and Kind Shock both make 27.2 dropper posts - you stand corrected.

·
Registered
74 Posts
noot said:
That bike has a 27.2mm seatpost... I don't believe drop posts exist for that small size. Someone please correct me!

Google is your friend - but to save you the trouble KS, X-fusion, and Gravity Dropper all make 27.2 posts.

·
Registered
789 Posts
LyNx said:
Nope dropper posts are strcitly prohibited on 29ers, they are only for 26ers since they're a crutch :rolleyes: Remind me, how's this 29er specific? :???:

STOP!!!!
Really a CRUTCH?!?!
Hmmm...You can do better than that LyNx.

Dropper seat post are great...They make it easier to transition into and out of steeps.
Nothing is more discouraging than realizing you didnt clear a steep climb or drop because the seat was to low/high...Saying they are a crutch is like saying computers are not required in todays lifestyle/industry...Of course they arent but it would be allot harder to comm using the paper/pen/mail method.
USE TECHNOLOGY...DONT BE AFRAID OF IT.
If it doesnt suit your need fine but dont say its a crutch.:nono:

·
the air is thin up here..
738 Posts
Excellent, thanks guys. Just knew the Joplin, Reverb & the older KS didn't come in that size.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts