Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its a subjective question. :D But for the sake of discussion.

About a month ago I had an eno wheel built for my Sycip 29er. Gotta say loving it! However, finding the best gear for my riding and what will be for endurance racing has been trial and error. Which I'm sure has been the case for all of us. I'm interested to know where we all landed so to speak.

In attempt to also give some sorta of context to your SS gear and type riding, I've posed the question this way, please categorize your response with the below.

SS gear?

General ride length? 5 to 15 miles, 15 to 30 miles, 30 to 45, 45+

General Terrain? smooth, rocky, rooty

General Type of trail? tight twisty ST, open ST, fireroad.

Type of climbing? Do you average a 1,000 feet of climbing every 5 miles... ten miles....or twenty miles?

Thanks for answering! :)

Roger

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mine,

33x20

General riding length 30-45 and 45+

General Terrain Mix of smooth and rocky.

Type of trail: Open ST and Fireroad.

General climbing: On average 1,000 feet every 10 miles.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
32x18

I ride in town on streets, on trails, you name it.

I have no idea what the elevation gain is on my rides...It is considerable at times I am sure.
The distance ranges from 2 to 65 miles. Sometimes the hills are so steep I have to push.

Gearing is an individual thing. I know guys that run higher gears than me, while others run lower...when we ride together, the gear ratio is not the limiting factor for anyone...some guys spin, some guys are good mashers.

I hope this helps in some way...but basically, I believe that you have to try a few gears, and see what feels best and works best for your riding style/terrain.

·
Is that Bill rated?
440 Posts
Gotta start somewhere

28/19, but I am lazy and heavy.

General ride length: 15 to 30 miles

General Terrain: rocky and rooty

General Type of trail: tight twisty ST

Type of climbing: Probably 1,000 feet of climbing every 5 miles, but I am not real sure.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Winter ratio is 34/20. Summer ratio is 34/19.

Typically 20-40 miles in summer, 5-10 in winter.

Smooth-ish, not-too-tight xc terrain

Ehhhh, not sure about the climbing. Maybe a couple thousand feet in 5 miles? What's the elevation change between Tumalo Falls and Metolius-Windigo near Mt. Bachelor? 34/19 was my all-purpose gear last summer regardless of quantity of climbing.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
34-20 is good to go all over AZ, you can ride most of the trails comfortably in flagstaff, sedona and furnace(phx) Short rides to all day(I wish I had a geared bike but I won't let anyone know that)type of rides.

·
old part timer
137 Posts
32 X 18 here in Central California. It works for fireroads, singletrack and commuting ( 10 to 40 miles). It hurts on the steeps but that was the plan from the start.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
SS gear? 34x22. I don't spinning on the flats (most of my riding isn't very flat) and would rather take it easy on my knees. 34x22 will get me up most hills that are rideable. On occasion I've ridden 34x20 for flatter rides, but it's usually too much hassle to change gears. If I bother dinglespeeding the Vulture again, I'll probably have the go-fast gear set up as 36x20.

General ride length? 5 to 15 miles most often, 15 to 30 miles fairly often, 30 to 45 on occasion.

General Terrain? Moderately rocky and/or rooty most of the time.

General Type of trail? Mix of tight twisty ST, open ST, fireroad.

Type of climbing? Probably average a 1,000 feet of climbing every 5 miles to ten miles

[/QUOTE]

·
luddite
212 Posts
SS gear? 32x18

General ride length? 5-50 miles, depending on how much work I feel I can skip

General Terrain? generally smooth with some rock gardens

General Type of trail? open ST, fireroad

Type of climbing? 1000 feet every 3 miles. It's all very up and down, not much multi-mile climbing in these parts

·
mtbr member
250 Posts
Mine

Trail Riding - 32x22

Steep and pretty brutal trails where I live. Rocky and reasonably rough as well. Ride length varies but lots of climbing. I've run higher gears but I don't like pushing, I spin like mad getting to the trailhead but it's worth it to clean tech climbs that stop the 26er FS bikes. Did I mention steep...

Racing - 34x20 or 34x18

·
3,049 Posts
30:20 "mountain gear" for rocky and steep terrain here in AZ and elsewhere.

34:20 All-around gear for longer and less technical rides (White Rim in a day, Etc)

34:16 paved and gravel road gear

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
On my Inbred I ran 34 X 20 for the Dirty Kanza 200 of which I made it 90 miles or so. (dehydration isssues) The gear was too low, in my opinion, I should have opted for a 34 X 18, which is what I run around here on local trails and gravel grinders.

On my Karate Monkey I run a 37 X 20. I did a 152 mile gravel grinder on that gear last August.

Sometimes I'll dump down to a 22 on the KM for snow.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
I'll play along, FYI, this was for last season's series of races. For general dorking around I'll run a 32x20 on the Rig.

SS gear?Generally I try to run a 32x17 on the pre-ride. If there's a ski hill on the course and a lot of climbing I'll run a 22. For flatter courses I'll run a 16 or 15. If there's a short, steep climb I'll run up so I've got the gearing for the flats and downhills

General ride length? 5 to 15 miles, 15 to 30 miles, 30 to 45, 45+15-20 miles

General Terrain? smooth, rocky, rootyummm.. all of that. It's a mountainbike race

General Type of trail? tight twisty ST, open ST, fireroad.depends on the venue.

Type of climbing? Do you average a 1,000 feet of climbing every 5 miles... ten miles....or twenty miles?
I'm in Wisconsin. climbing is measured in 10's of feet per mile.

This next year I'll put a 34t in the rotation.

·
Registered
168 Posts
32x20 in Auburn, Forest Hill, Cool, Sly Park, Salmon Falls.
32x19 for Brown's Ravine, Nimbus, Granite Bay.
Tried a 32x21 in Tahoe and pushed a lot.

Terrain: same as yours
Ride Length: shorter than yours
Ride Speed: slower than yours ;)

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,779 Posts
Padre said:
Here in steep socal..
From my perspective, you should have included the altitude you ride at in the requested description. When I visit my brother-in-law in "steep socal", at first I'm all about "damn that's steep, I'll never make it up that" and the next thing I know I'm at the top wondering where the hill went. It's steep to be sure, but with at all that oxygen at sea level there's no excuse at not being able to climb anything you can keep traction on. Here, everything goes up from 7200' and there are plenty of climbs that would be a cake-walk at sea level but bust my tail at this elevation. That being said...

SS gear: 34x20 preferred (~49 gear inches), 34x21 in the early season (~47 gear inches). (177.5 mm crank arms). Leverage makes a difference too when picking a gear. I liked the 34x21 better when I used 175 mm crank arms.

Ride Length: 15 to 30 miles (usually). If I get into the Leadville 100, I might do it on the SS and I'll probably have to rethink the gearing for that distance...

Terrain: Fractured/solid limestone, sand, gravel, baby-heads, sage clumps.

Type of trail: Ranch road two-track, single track, animal trails (cow, sheep, antelope, deer, and elk).

Climbs: Terrain is always either up or down, but varied grades. The ups range from gruntingly steep to seated spins. Probably a 1000' elevation gain every 5 miles...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.