Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand inner tube do you like best for XC riding? The thing is that I have been using Bontragers and have had 5 of the valve stems just snap off or break in different ways and I am being very careful not to bend it with the pump. I just want to try something different but want to make sure I'm not buying junk. Anything you know would be great!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I like q tubes. They have removable valve core and I put a little stans sealant in them.

·
Registered
475 Posts
One word: tubeless! :thumbsup:

Sorry, I know it is not what you were asking, but I loved the transition from tubed to tubeless years ago with the Stans strip on regular rims with regular tires (not too expensive of a conversion, especially if you have gone through 5 tubes in a short time!) and have never considered going back to tubes. I have also been lucky and not had any on-the-trail horror stories from being tubeless. I do carry a tube with me, but have never had to use it!

On my road bike, I use Continental tubes - pricey, but never had valve issues. I like the sounds of the q tubes with the removable cores!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
What brand inner tube do you like best for XC riding? The thing is that I have been using Bontragers and have had 5 of the valve stems just snap off or break in different ways and I am being very careful not to bend it with the pump. I just want to try something different but want to make sure I'm not buying junk. Anything you know would be great!
Try any other brand. I doubt it is a flaw in the tubes, though.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
i generally use bonty or maxxis mid weight tubes. never had an issue. i guess if you want to try something new try maxxis although, honestly, im not sure there is much of a difference.

·
Registered
560 Posts
When I have to use tubes I what everlightweight 26" tube I have laying around. Saves a bit of weight and works fine.

·
aka "SirLurkAlot"
616 Posts
Are you just snugging the nut tight or really cranking down on it?

The small nut that threads on doesn't need to be real tight and doing so could cause this.

·
Parking Lot Poser
515 Posts
sounds like operator error

Get a presta to schrader adapter. It will cost you a couple bucks, but in the long run more than likely save you money on tubes

·
Registered
12,172 Posts
I install about two dozen Bontrager tubes a week and various bikes, and about one in ten thousand have faulty valves. it must be user error. maybe try a different pump?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Bontrager, since that is what the LBS stocks up on.

But... I've gone tubeless.... but a spare Bontrager tube is in my saddle bag

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe this is a good excuse to go tubeless! My tires and wheels are tubeless reedy. I'll check out the Q-tubes and make sure I don't have the nut to tight.

·
Registered
258 Posts
One word: tubeless! :thumbsup:

Sorry, I know it is not what you were asking, but I loved the transition from tubed to tubeless years ago with the Stans strip on regular rims with regular tires (not too expensive of a conversion, especially if you have gone through 5 tubes in a short time!) and have never considered going back to tubes. I have also been lucky and not had any on-the-trail horror stories from being tubeless. I do carry a tube with me, but have never had to use it!

On my road bike, I use Continental tubes - pricey, but never had valve issues. I like the sounds of the q tubes with the removable cores!
AMEN, best thing I ever did...besides going 29...and maybe ergon grips...or disc brakes. But seriously. Go tubeless. $ is no excuse. I have easily broken easy in first year for cost of tubes, patches etc. I am a big fatty and ride very rocky terrain.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I've been running q tubes for a while and haven't had a flat in a year. Tubeless is great for some, but for me it's not worth the trouble or expense right now. I may have 4 flats on my next ride and change my mine.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Maybe this is a good excuse to go tubeless! My tires and wheels are tubeless reedy. I'll check out the Q-tubes and make sure I don't have the nut to tight.
If the valve stems are breaking because of the way you are inflating the tire, you will likely break a tubeless valve, too.

What pump do you use?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
The problem is with your pump and how it attaches to the valve, rather than the Bontrager inner tubes.

For a track pump you can replace the head easily with a different one. Track pump heads that attach at 90 degrees or use a locking lever may put leverage on the valve which could bend or break a presta valve.

Silca track pumps are reliable and their pump heads push straight down onto the valve. If you use one of those attachments you're unlikely to ever break a valve using it. The heads are available seperately so you could also cut the head off your existing track pump and attach one of these with a hose clip around the hose to ensure it's airtight

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/silca-track-pump-fitment-adaptor-prod3663/

For use out on the trail most minipumps can potentially bend a presta valve if you aren't careful. Push the pump fully onto the valve, apply the locking lever and hold the pump carefully as you pump so that the pump is always kept at 90 degrees to the valve.

Pictured below: Silca track pump head pushes directly down onto valve so is unlikely to bend a presta valve

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts