Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 29er for my 5'2" wife. The problem is with stand over height. So I would like any thoughts you may have as to which 29er has the lowest stand over height. Especially from any of you that have shorter wives currently riding 29er's. I am riding a 29er now and think she would be more confident on a 29er - she is a little nervous on some of the rockier down hills on her 26er. Since I have moved to the 29er, some of the trails that I used to think of as difficult are now non-events, don't even think about them much anymore, so I am hoping my wife would also gain more confidence. I am riding the Niner RIP 9 in a small (I am vertically challenged also, about 5'7"). The specs on the Niner Jet RDO show it to be about an inch lower than my RIP (I am running the Reba at 140MM) with the 100MM front fork. Can you think of any 29er's with a lower stand over height?

Thnaks in advance for any help!!

·
Registered
14,126 Posts
The EMD x-small is 27.2" with 100mm, so the same height but HT lighter and that could be a help. Might be worth a demo with <25lbs pressure in the tires.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I am looking for a 29er for my 5'2" wife. The problem is with stand over height. So I would like any thoughts you may have as to which 29er has the lowest stand over height. Especially from any of you that have shorter wives currently riding 29er's. I am riding a 29er now and think she would be more confident on a 29er - she is a little nervous on some of the rockier down hills on her 26er. Since I have moved to the 29er, some of the trails that I used to think of as difficult are now non-events, don't even think about them much anymore, so I am hoping my wife would also gain more confidence. I am riding the Niner RIP 9 in a small (I am vertically challenged also, about 5'7"). The specs on the Niner Jet RDO show it to be about an inch lower than my RIP (I am running the Reba at 140MM) with the 100MM front fork. Can you think of any 29er's with a lower stand over height?

Thnaks in advance for any help!!
My wife is 5'3 & had a Jet9 & now a Jet9 RDO & likes it alot, She came from a Giant Trance 0 & there was a good jump in what she would take on,

A dropper seat post helps them alot to.

Attachments

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
When are people going to understand that standover isn't part of what makes a bike fit the rider?

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
When are people going to understand that standover isn't part of what makes a bike fit the rider?
You must not have had a short wife stop on top of a crest & not be able to get the feet on the ground & fall over, Damage the bike & loose confidence ???

If you had then you would understand a bit more:madman::madman:

·
Registered
723 Posts
While I will agree that standover is not the best way to judge a bike for fit, there are instances where ett, stack and reach are not effective if someone cannot even get onto a bike because the standover is too tall. So in this situation, first find a bike that the wifey is willing and able to throw her leg over, than determine a fit based on the other critical dimensions.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I have a daughter that was riding a 29er when she was 5'2" but I taught her how to put her a foot out (not both) and how to lean a bike. I also taught her how to sit on the top tube with one foot on a pedal while astride the bike.

You must be with a stupid woman or you're an idiot too.
She can't be that stupid she earns over $100,000 a year she is just a crap rider.

You know crap riders are allowed to ride too.

So that leaves me as being stupid, Well I guess I must be.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't think that's quite fair CaffinePowered.. As someone that's a bit vertically challenged by 29er standards I look at stand over too. Not so much for fit, but bc I don't want the top tube knocking my happy place on any type of consistent basis (preferably ever). I can unfortunately attest that this is a quite unpleasurable experience (yes even for women) and I want to ensure there's some room there for those times when it maybe necessary. Females tend to have shorter inseams thus it can be more of an issue for women than for men, but never the less I think it's still a viable measurement to be considered when purchasing a bike.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I don't think that's quite fair CaffinePowered.. As someone that's a bit vertically challenged by 29er standards I look at stand over too. Not so much for fit, but bc I don't want the top tube knocking my happy place on any type of consistent basis (preferably ever). I can unfortunately attest that this is a quite unpleasurable experience (yes even for women) and I want to ensure there's some room there for those times when it maybe necessary. Females tend to have shorter inseams thus it can be more of an issue for women than for men, but never the less I think it's still a viable measurement to be considered when purchasing a bike.
I'd like to hear why Caff said that. If a bike is too tall, you can't ride it, I would think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Short wife 29er

Thanks for all the replies so far, even the rather silly comment from Caffeine. My wife's inseam is just short of 27". I was not aware that the EMD came in an xtra small - I will definitely look at that, along with the Salsa and the Safire. We do have both Specialized and Niner shops locally, not sure about Salsa.

Once again I appreciate all the positive and informative responses very much. For Caffeine, well at least you responded ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
My gf is 5'2" and rides a small Karate Monkey. The standover isn't an issue, but the top tube length is. She's a little stretched out on it, even with a 50mm stem and swept back bars. So she's thinking about getting an XS Niner EMD.

If I were you, I'd compare the other measurements on her 26er frame to the 29ers out the. All the little 29ers should have plenty of standover

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Get her something with a proper top tube size and low stand over to make her feel happy on her new bike. A couple companies have bent top tubes that could be nice (voodoo, misfit, ?).

·
Sup
1,696 Posts
That and caffeine is teaching his daughter
Not a 34 year old wife who doesn't listen after 10 years of marriage
Two totally different things in my opinion

Sj

1 - 20 of 35 Posts