Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys: I have a couple bikes but the one I am thinking most about is my 2014 Trek Fuel EX 8. It has Bontranger wheels but I am not sure the model. Recently, I started screwing around building some small kicker ramps to work on jumping technique. I have only been launching about 2' but I just built one that will easily launch me 3+ feet. I am starting to get concerned that this is too much for what the bike was designed to do. I weigh right around 200 and I am talking about landing on flat surfaces, not a transition. Any thoughts on their strength?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes, you got carried away with the curve. It may throw your rear wheel upward after your front is already airborne.

No natural trails near you to practice on?

As far as your wheels and bike go, they'll be fine.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,605 Posts
agree that modern 29er wheels are pretty solid. Especially if they're built by hand by a good builder.

I built a 29er hardtail this year, with my last hardtail being a 26er I bought almost 20yrs ago. I do stuff on my new 29er that would have folded my old 26er's wheels in half. AND they're the first wheels I built myself (which means they could probably be built better).

Landings to flat are hardly desirable, though. That said, as long as you land them straight and square, you're probably more likely to bend pedal spindles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
All you need to do to check the integrity of a wheel is to check the tension of the sets of parallel spokes. You can do this by hand and all you are looking for is uneven tensions. Get a proper sized spoke wrench and make sure all the spokes are at even tensions. This is the most basic of wheel maintenance but it will allow you to lengthen the lifetime of your wheels.

If it happens that you do need to replace wheels then I would recommend industry nine wheels. They are super strong and the warranty is pretty good. I like them a lot.

·
Premium Member
10,756 Posts
Buy a used DJ, you’re gonna end up hurting yourself doing it with a big bike on little wood ramps, jumping to flat on asphalt.

Maybe s skateboard 🙄

·
Registered
498 Posts
agree that modern 29er wheels are pretty solid. Especially if they're built by hand by a good builder.
Agree 100% that modern 29er wheels are pretty tough, especially if well built. I have a set of Stan's rims laced into some DT Swiss 350's by Mike at www.lacemine29.com. Those things are pretty bulletproof, handling 3-4 footers all day and the occasional 6 footer on days when I'm extra brave.

Buy a used DJ, you're gonna end up hurting yourself doing it with a big bike on little wood ramps, jumping to flat on asphalt.
Yep. Also 100% true.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.