Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I did a search on this: 29er wheelset (standard, non plus) mounted on a fat bike 135/170 drops. Did not see any opinions on the handling of this set-up though. Is this a legitimate option for summer or something to avoid? Comments/criticisms?

·
Registered
520 Posts
From personal experience on my Salsa Beargrease 29+ was the way to go for me. My local trails are sandy and lots of roots and the 29+ setup is awesome, I have a buddy who rides 29x2.6 on his surly Wednesday and he loves it, gets the best of two worlds, speed and plowing through things. I ran Maxxis Chronicle's and handling was far better for me than trying to run traditional 29ers , cornered well on the sand, she's must off well and rolling was just on point for me. I know the spacing on these bikes are different than what you have, but perhaps it can help with your decision making.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Guy at my LBS has an ICT with 29+ setup for summer. He says it rides awesome, better than a lot of dedicated plus bikes. I'm sure not all fat geometries will work well, but I bet most would. I am considering selling all my bikes and getting an ICT with 3 wheelsets. Have two for my Krampus now. Plus a cheap fat

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
This place needs an enema
17,078 Posts
Yes, I did a search on this: 29er wheelset (standard, non plus) mounted on a fat bike 135/170 drops. Did not see any opinions on the handling of this set-up though. Is this a legitimate option for summer or something to avoid? Comments/criticisms?
Frames and forks with 135/170 hubs typically max out with 29 x 2.5" or so tires.

And they feel awesome when float isn't needed. Definitely worth doing, but keep your fat wheels/tires for the appropriate times/places.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,158 Posts
Works fine. Way too bumpy without a suspension fork.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like this is a good alternative to buying another bike right now. Just swap the wheels between summer/winter riding. Sweet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.