Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase a Tallboy very soon.
I like the XT group, but would like to upgrade the wheels.
It comes with
WHEELS Mavic TN 719 rims laced to DT 340 rear hub and Chub 15mm front hub w/ DT 14/15 spokes
I was thinking of Hope hubs with 14/15 comp spokes laced to Stans Arch rims.
Any recommendations welcome...[Please note price is an object].

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
They sure aren't a bad wheelset but what you are suggesting is better

Hope Pro 2, DT Comps, and Archs are super solid. The engagement isn't great, 24pts, but it works and cheap.

Contact [email protected], he'll hook you up with that wheelset really cheap.

I got Hope, Comps and White flows for ~$450, cheap cheap cheap for that quality of a wheelset.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I like everything about your built wheels except the Hopes. For me, it would be either DT Swiss 240s if you like understated, or Hadleys, if you want Made in USA and a great set of hubs in color of your choice.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
dirtrider7 said:
Nate,
Can you explain why any of the rims you mention are better than the Mavic TN 719 which is an excellent rim.
Thanks.
I really don't have any experience with the TN 719 and no reason knock it. The rims I listed are for ease of tubeless conversion only...I jumped to the conclusion that the OP wanted tubeless simply because he's ready to dump a wheelset that is actually quite nice.

Like I said, I can't knock the TN719...it might be easy to convert to tubeless, I don't know. The 340 is an drastically under-rated hub in my opinion and probably on par with the 240s (except for weight) and the Chub hubs are nice stuff too.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
on my 29er build I went with a king rear hub & arch rim & in the front a 355 hoop & a American classic hub awsome wheel set built up bye LOU at Briarcliff bike works 914=762=7614 can't beat the engagement of the king & the AC hub is verry light

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I am going to get a new 29er this year and I want to get lighter wheels also and I have been looking also and doing lots of reading. I talked to mike over at Sants Notubes today and I was thinking about Hope hubs too but he said that the American Classic hubs are lighter... The wheels that he had spec for me where 1520g in weight & I could get a wheelset 1300g in weight. But they are for someone under 170lbs. so I hope that helps you out!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
RogerRacer said:
on my 29er build I went with a king rear hub & arch rim & in the front a 355 hoop & a American classic hub awsome wheel set built up bye LOU at Briarcliff bike works 914=762=7614 can't beat the engagement of the king & the AC hub is verry light
Same for me but with a Hope Pro II in the front

Been running it for 1 1/2 years with no troubles at all

SPP

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RandyBoy said:
I like everything about your built wheels except the Hopes. For me, it would be either DT Swiss 240s if you like understated, or Hadleys, if you want Made in USA and a great set of hubs in color of your choice.
I would love to do Hadleys or Kings or DT 240s, but money does not grow on trees for me. I can do an even swap for the stock to the Hope/Flow combo at my LBS. I would be interested in any other options I could manage for the even money. I think I would go King if I had the $$$...
Oh well.
Merry Xmas to all:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your great imput.
What is the difference between Hadleys and CKs hubs?
Techincal stuff please [there is no Hadley website]..:confused:

I am now considering adding CKs to the mix...

So right now the frontrunner is...

CK ISO pewter with SuperComps and Arch rims. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have CK's and the engagement is nice. OTH, I have noticed what others have mentioned ... I do not think they are as efficient as others. They seem to drag just a little.
Could you tell me more about the others...Do you mean Hadleys or Dt 240s?
Which one is the most efficient for a 29er application?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
jl2 said:
Could you tell me more about the others...Do you mean Hadleys or Dt 240s?
Which one is the most efficient for a 29er application?
Thanks.
Sorry, I can not. I remember reading it back when I was spec'ing my build. I opted for CKs, and when I got them, i gave them a spin (by hand) and they slowed down noticeably quicker than my other wheels ... DT Swiss hubs i think.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Most likely the CK were not broken in. I got a new set of Industry 9 wheels and they seemed to have alot of resistance but that was only because they have a few hundred mile break in period. Things that are made to last a long time often have a significant break in period.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
pat_martin said:
Most likely the CK were not broken in. I got a new set of Industry 9 wheels and they seemed to have alot of resistance but that was only because they have a few hundred mile break in period. Things that are made to last a long time often have a significant break in period.
You may be right, and that is what i am hoping for. My old bike was a fairly fast coasting bike. the new one is not as fast ... yet :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.