Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time ever, I have seen 29er stuff at performancebike.com

they have a WTB 29er wheelset for sale online. It comes with Exiwolf tires. I didn't see any listings for tires separately. Not sure that it is a great bargain, but whatever.

Anyway, we must be getting more mainstream for them to start carrying anything for 29ers there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
That was great to see, till I got to the price part

Thanks for the update! It is definitely good news that Performance is carrying 29er stuff finally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
great news for the consumer and bad news for the shops that have been faithful since day 1 hahaahahaha. 29'ers are growing, you will see more stuff coming in the future. Performance may be testing the waters etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
I've been keeping some 29er stuff in stock in my service area at a Performance location for quite a while. Remember that actual humans work at the stores. Some of them are actually cyclist-humans.
 

·
Transplant
Joined
·
881 Posts
evilbike said:
Some of them are actually cyclist-humans.
Lies all lies. Just kidding. It seems that more and more shops are joining the revolution. Up here in NH its starting to catch on (I just ordered an Orbea 29er) but I know 3 or 4 people that have custom made (seven, IF) and its good to see the mainstream retailers are catching on.
 

·
highly visible
Joined
·
3,284 Posts
Cool!

Not that I intend to buy these wheels myself, but 29" stuff at performance is definitely a milestone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
That is great that Performance is selling 29er stuff, but I would never shop at the Walmart of bike shops. Walmart of bike shops? Yes, Performance is well known for buying up smaller shops, and thus reducing the number of quality shops you can purchase from. I can think of two in Southern California alone. Supergo, and Bike USA of San Diego. Now when you go into these stores that once had a wide variety to choose from, all they have is their own crap, and a bunch of low end garbage. Anything that was worth buying in the old stores is not carried anymore. Thanks Performance! Yes I know, there are probably a bunch of people who love Performace and will stick up for them. JMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
evilbike said:
I've been keeping some 29er stuff in stock in my service area at a Performance location for quite a while. Remember that actual humans work at the stores. Some of them are actually cyclist-humans.
Then you are one of the few....at least in my area. The Performance Store here carries nothing 29er specific.

Niether do the locally owned bike shops. It just makes it so I don't feel as guilty if I order something online. I would much rather see it in person though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Nashbar joining the mix too.

Just got the Nashbar catalog yesterday, flipped through and they have the Exiwolfs on sale for $24.99. That is the first time I've seen 29er specific anything in Nashbar. Here's the link.
 

·
( )
Joined
·
755 Posts
Shmeefer said:
Just got the Nashbar catalog yesterday, flipped through and they have the Exiwolfs on sale for $24.99. That is the first time I've seen 29er specific anything in Nashbar. Here's the link.
Not completely 29er specific, but nashbar has stocked some touring/cyclocross/29er wheelsets in the past. One was a mavic A719/XT set that I picked up and turned out to be a nice solid wheelset for ~$220. THen they had a mavic/on-one wheelset for much cheaper. I talk to a guy in the service dept and asked if they were going to be stocking more 29er stuff and he said they were trying to get into it, but so far it's only been the exiwolfs which they sold out of quick the first time they stocked them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Shmeefer said:
Just got the Nashbar catalog yesterday, flipped through and they have the Exiwolfs on sale for $24.99. That is the first time I've seen 29er specific anything in Nashbar. Here's the link.
I could be wrong, but I think Nashbar is owned by Performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
OrBikbldr said:
For the first time ever, I have seen 29er stuff at performancebike.com

they have a WTB 29er wheelset for sale online. It comes with Exiwolf tires. I didn't see any listings for tires separately. Not sure that it is a great bargain, but whatever.

Anyway, we must be getting more mainstream for them to start carrying anything for 29ers there.
Do you have a link to said wheelset? I can't seem to find it.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,228 Posts
Oliver said:
That is great that Performance is selling 29er stuff, but I would never shop at the Walmart of bike shops. Walmart of bike shops? Yes, Performance is well known for buying up smaller shops, and thus reducing the number of quality shops you can purchase from. I can think of two in Southern California alone. Supergo, and Bike USA of San Diego. Now when you go into these stores that once had a wide variety to choose from, all they have is their own crap, and a bunch of low end garbage. Anything that was worth buying in the old stores is not carried anymore. Thanks Performance! Yes I know, there are probably a bunch of people who love Performace and will stick up for them. JMO
Do you think the owners from Performance walk in with a gun, stick it to the bike shop owners head and force them to sell? Nope, the shops sold because it was financially benificial for them to sell. In fact when Supergo sold, the owner said he looked long and hard before deciding to sell to Performace. Perhaps you should be mad at your local shop owner for deciding to sell his shop and make some money. What a greedy capitalist!!!! :rolleyes:

As far as a the number of "quality" local shops. There are about 10 shops within 10 miles of me. From my experience crappy service, high prices, and poor selection are what these shops provide. Being raped over MSRP for things like a Burley alternative hitch ($60 because it was in stock, MSRP is $40), $8 for tubes, and quotes for $100 to install a fork bought at the shop have taught me to buy from quality places like Mtn high and Red Barn and do my own work. If I need clothes or small parts, guess who has them for a reasonable price, takes them back no questions asked if I don't like them, and has a decent selection. Yep, those horrible guys at performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Oliver said:
I could be wrong, but I think Nashbar is owned by Performance.
I remember hearing that too, but the Exi's are $39.99 at Performancebike.com and $24.99 at Nashbar.com, so who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
CDMC said:
Do you think the owners from Performance walk in with a gun, stick it to the bike shop owners head and force them to sell? Nope, the shops sold because it was financially benificial for them to sell. In fact when Supergo sold, the owner said he looked long and hard before deciding to sell to Performace. Perhaps you should be mad at your local shop owner for deciding to sell his shop and make some money. What a greedy capitalist!!!! :rolleyes:

As far as a the number of "quality" local shops. There are about 10 shops within 10 miles of me. From my experience crappy service, high prices, and poor selection are what these shops provide. Being raped over MSRP for things like a Burley alternative hitch ($60 because it was in stock, MSRP is $40), $8 for tubes, and quotes for $100 to install a fork bought at the shop have taught me to buy from quality places like Mtn high and Red Barn and do my own work. If I need clothes or small parts, guess who has them for a reasonable price, takes them back no questions asked if I don't like them, and has a decent selection. Yep, those horrible guys at performance.
What a greedy capitalist!!!! Get over yourself, it is not always about Capitalism. I am all for it. Yes, I know that there comes a time when a business owners are ready to get out of the business, and of course you look for the best offer. I don't have a problem with that, I would do the same. My probem is with decreased selection and market competion. It seems like everytime someone makes a comment like this on this board, everyone asumes you are a tree hunging, organic food eating Liberal and against materal gain. (nothing wrong with Liberals or eating organic food). That is not always the case. You shop at Performance, I will spend my money else where.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
Sorry to hear...

CDMC said:
Being raped over MSRP for things like a Burley alternative hitch ($60 because it was in stock, MSRP is $40)
I own a shop and we're a Burley dealer. That in particular is sad to hear. We stock that part and just charge people our cost if they got the trailer here at the shop. Yes, there are good shops and bad shops - that goes for LBSs and chains.

S
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top