Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a Scandal 29er. This is my first bike build and I don't have a great deal of experience with 29ers or parts.

I would like some help finding the best bang for the buck in 29er wheels. I had originally planned to purchase a Arch/Hope wheelset. They are highly regarded and would likely be used on many bikes to come in the future. I am also interested in the light weight and durability. However, they are costly.

I'm checking here to see if there are any affordable alternatives with similar properties. I find myself in a state of indecision when I begin reading reviews. I never make it to the next step of finding the best deal...

·
Registered
186 Posts
A lot of guys are going for the Black Flag or Charger Comps from nashbar lately. Sun Ringle licenses Stan's technology, so Black Flags are comparable to Arch and Charger is similar to Flow. Wait for a coupon and you should be able to get them around $220-230 shipped.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charger Comps for $230 shipped with the St. Patrick's Day coupon.

Really considering this. Is the difference in price enough to justify the difference in features?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Difference in price between which? Note, the St. Pat's coupon is only 17% and they do routinely have 20% or slightly better coupons.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Between a Hope/Flow combo. I have no brand loyalty just an interest in a durable, long lasting and hopefully light 29'' wheelset.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just depends on your preference, what you're building, how much you want to spend, etc. These are a bang for your buck deal IMO. If you want to spend twice as much or more for the Hopes/Flow you'll get the hope hubs and shave off about 182grams. I don't know if you noticed, but you also get the tubeless sealant kit with the Chargers.

·
B.Ike
1,206 Posts
Difference in price between which? Note, the St. Pat's coupon is only 17% and they do routinely have 20% or slightly better coupons.
although the coupon is only 17%, the price came down . out the door price is 30 dollars less. I'm showing 202.

·
Registered
186 Posts
They keep shifting the price between $250 and $280, but you can catch it when there's a 20% coupon AND they are $250. They're sneaky like that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts