Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty bummed casue I just pretzeled my front wheel on my new bike. I got a 08 Rockhopper Comp 29er and only got about 55 miles on it. I took a pretty nice bail today and when I got up the front wheel was a mess. I took the bike back to Spokes where I got it and they informed me that warenting it would not be an option. I decided that if I am gonna spend money I might as well upgrade.

I really don't want to spend more than 300 on a wheel and the closer to 200 would be better. The guy at the service desk discussed a prebuilt wheel and one that they would build.

I guess my questions are:

Wich is better of the two he sugested?
Pre built wheel - XT Hub and Velocity Blunt rim for 190.99
or
The custom wheel - XT Hub DT Swiss x470 rim for 193

What other options are out there? Why would the options be better?

What would you do?

Any disadvantage to just upgrading the front and not the rear for now?

Should I consider going tubeless?

What other questions should I have?

(I also posted this in the 29er thread...If double posting it was a no no sorry and please delete one)

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Don't know about the specific wheels you posted, but I'd upgrade one wheel for now unless you really know for sure how good they are and/or if you get alot better deal on a set (usually do get a 'better' deal on sets of front and rear wheels.)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
kn0bby8 said:
Im pretty bummed casue I just pretzeled my front wheel on my new bike. I got a 08 Rockhopper Comp 29er and only got about 55 miles on it. I took a pretty nice bail today and when I got up the front wheel was a mess. I took the bike back to Spokes where I got it and they informed me that warenting it would not be an option. I decided that if I am gonna spend money I might as well upgrade.

I really don't want to spend more than 300 on a wheel and the closer to 200 would be better. The guy at the service desk discussed a prebuilt wheel and one that they would build.

I guess my questions are:

Wich is better of the two he sugested?
Pre built wheel - XT Hub and Velocity Blunt rim for 190.99
or
The custom wheel - XT Hub DT Swiss x470 rim for 193

What other options are out there? Why would the options be better?

What would you do?

Any disadvantage to just upgrading the front and not the rear for now?

Should I consider going tubeless?

What other questions should I have?

(I also posted this in the 29er thread...If double posting it was a no no sorry and please delete one)
For some reason Spec decided a 28 spoke front wheel would be a good idea. Lighter (slightly) but not as sturdy as a 32 spoke wheel, which they did use on the rear.

The two rims you mentioned are similar weight. The Blunt is wider. I would pick the DT as it is probably a bit tougher. If your LBS has a good reputation for hand built wheels, so much the better.

Run the rear wheel until it fails, which may be years away.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shiggy said:
For some reason Spec decided a 28 spoke front wheel would be a good idea. Lighter (slightly) but not as sturdy as a 32 spoke wheel, which they did use on the rear.

The two rims you mentioned are similar weight. The Blunt is wider. I would pick the DT as it is probably a bit tougher. If your LBS has a good reputation for hand built wheels, so much the better.

Run the rear wheel until it fails, which may be years away.
Thanks for the advice...I ended up goin with DT Swiss x470 rims and Hopr Pro 2 Hubs, Both front and rear.

The bike is just a hardtail rockhopper...Did I go overboard?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.