·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to comparing the Specialized Roval 29"s to any of the following

Mavic Crossmax 29ers
American Classics with Stans
Kings with Stans

Any feedback or even comparisons of the above?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stan's user here...

I've got Stan's Flows with Ravens (2.0s) on my '08 Stumpie FSR 29er with I9 hubs and I feel they're relatively light but strong. The I9 hubs are amazing, but I find their aluminum spokes break far too frequently and their customer service isn't as responsive as with some other companies.

My new 29er SS has white Stan's Arch rims with King hubs and the "angry bee" sound is awesome--like a buzz saw! King hubs are so well made, (IMHO) less finicky, and easily rebuildable and adjusted that they're worth the SLIGHT weight penalty. These wheels feel very reponsive to me. I've also got Stan's Ravens on these wheels, but 2.2s.

Considering how much I love Specialized products, I doubt you'll go wrong with Roval wheels. However, I'm a real fan of Stan's No Tubes products and feel their wheels are also a great value.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Mi nombre es Austin
228 Posts
anyone tried the easton Haven wheelset, I've heard that they are crazy light and stiff.
and I would like to know how they compare to the wheels listed obove to get an idea of their awesomeness or lack of.

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
I have been riding the Roval wheels on the Epic Marathon and they have been very good so far. I do have weights somewhere if you need that.

The rims are in between the width of an Arch and a Flow IIRC. The hubs, from what I have read, are made by DT Swiss.

The front hub of the set I have...Control EL XC Wheels...is convertible to 15mm or 20mm with removable end caps. The non-braking side of the front wheel is laced radial...kinda odd.

The 28mm end caps are pretty good size and even with a standard 5mm QR the wheel feels very solid in the dropouts. The rear hub is laced with straight pull spokes. The freehub body is aluminum. The rear hub is quiet. I like quiet.

I am in the middle of converting tubeless. I ran into some issues that I am waiting to get back to after Christmas.

I have seen the Havoc wheels from Easton. Pretty nice looking. The rim should be easy to seal! No spoke holes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.