Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been beat to death here, but.....

I'm on Bontrager Race Lite's now and b/c of SS and my size, need a tad more beef in the rear end. What rim/hub/spoke combo is working. Lateral rigidity is what I'm looking for most. I keep the wheels on the ground with this bike so no worries about my big arse launching.

Thanks, PattD

·
This place needs an enema
15,700 Posts
PattD said:

I'm on Bontrager Race Lite's now and b/c of SS and my size, need a tad more beef in the rear end. What rim/hub/spoke combo is working. Lateral rigidity is what I'm looking for most. I keep the wheels on the ground with this bike so no worries about my big arse launching.

Thanks, PattD
Give more info so that I can give specific details. Height, weight, bike they'll be ridden on, type of trails most commonly ridden, riding style, etc... You don't like the flex of the Bont wheels, but do you bend/break/fold wheels on occasion, or...?

The more info you give the easier it'll be to nail down the right combo of rim/spoke/hub for you.

MC

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
A slightly wider and heavier rim and 36 spokes should do most of the trick. Salsa Delgado's are popular and affordable. So are for discs the Alex TD-17. Goin to a SS-specific hub will help a lot too, with the wider flange spacing. Nashbar cheap, DT nice (and half the weight).

Many more choices out there. Everyone will surely respond with their favorite choices and wheel builders.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
PattD said:

Thanks, PattD
Hey Patt, long time no talk, how ya been? Having built wheels for you before I'd recommend something along the lines of Hadley 36h hubs, DT 7.1 rims, DT 14/15 spokes. Strong stuff, good lateral stiffness, super fast engagement.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, Larry

I've been meaning to forward you a new email address. [email protected]

I'll give you a buzz this week to chat. Also wanted to talk to you about NCGR for next year.

Mike....I'm 6'1" and weight about 235 lbs. The hardest part w/me being on a singlespeed is I can generate some serious torque. I'm running 32/16 on the front range of CO so I'm expecting my knees to blow up or something on my ride to explode.

·
This place needs an enema
15,700 Posts
PattD said:
Mike....I'm 6'1" and weight about 235 lbs. The hardest part w/me being on a singlespeed is I can generate some serious torque. I'm running 32/16 on the front range of CO so I'm expecting my knees to blow up or something on my ride to explode.
58 gear inches on the front range? Be sure to wear eye protection--when your knees go it's gonna be messy...

Per your original request:
I'm on Bontrager Race Lite's now and b/c of SS and my size, need a tad more beef in the rear end. What rim/hub/spoke combo is working. Lateral rigidity is what I'm looking for most

I'd recommend the 36h Rhyno Lite rims. More laterally rigid than any 700c rim other than the Kris Holms. Can take a beating without need for constant readjustment.

As far as spokes, your wheelbuilder can dial that in for you. At a minimum, I'd suggest DT Competition (2.0/1.8). SuperComps would build too whippy of a wheel for you.

Hubs, well... I'm partial to the DT 440 FR when I need bombproof. Whether it's a fully loaded tour, expedition style race, 60 below zero or 110 above, I have yet to have an issue with these hubs. I just laced up a crisp new set for my soon-to-be-finished expedition bike. And the FR's come with a steel freehub body, so SS'ing with them is not an issue.

Good luck.

MC

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Mr. Scary said:
There are better options than the builder above...
Well, I for one have not heard any complaints about Larry's wheels, only praise. The set I have are going on 2 years and are still as true as the day I received them. Do you have some specific issue with Larry's wheelbuilding skills, or are you just being obnoxious like always?

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Mr. Scary said:
There are better options than the builder above...
So one question Mr. Scary, have you ever owned a pair of wheels that I built???
Larry

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
Haaa thats to funny Mr Scary.

I have a set of Syncros DS28/ King/Maverick wheels from Larry. These wheels are about 16 months old and have been beat on by my 225lbs. I have had to true them a grand total of ZERO times. Larry has solid prices, great product knowledge and customer service, he also provides a lot of info to the forums.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Ventanarama said:
Hey Patt, long time no talk, how ya been? Having built wheels for you before I'd recommend something along the lines of Hadley 36h hubs, DT 7.1 rims, DT 14/15 spokes. Strong stuff, good lateral stiffness, super fast engagement.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

There is no better wheelbuilder on earth than the one listed above. Of course, I've never owned one of your wheels either Larry, but thought I'd add some balance by contributing to the BS in a positive way.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's all good

Larry's built ALL of my wheels, at least 6 or 7 different pairs of them, from DH to SS and none of them have failed...face it Larry, you're a marked man because you've done such a great job for so many of us in the bike world! It's hard to be successful, get used to it!

Thanks for all the advice, I'm looking into the Hadley's and the DT. My concern w/the true SS hubs is durability. While this spring I'll add some teeth for an easier spin, I'm capable of easily destroying rear hub.

MC, as a side note, I'm yet to climb anything significant with that gearing on my 29er. The 26" (that I abandoned forever) I've made a # of the local climbs on. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Clyde 29er rims

Similar to the previous lads....
I have several months and over 300 miles on a set i had speedgoat build up for me....Hadley 36h frt & rear with bolt conversion kit in back and 20mm hub up front (in a white bros 20mm thru-bolt fork). D/T spokes, brass nipples and Salsa Delgados.

All riding either Very rooty or rocky...lots of baby-heads out austin-way. Uber-stiff, no broken spokes, and just as true as the day they were new.

Also mucho recommend WTB Exxiwolfs....yes, they Are heavy....slingin' like a flywheel to get you over the roots...nice cushiness for the roots and maxi-grip....love-em.

oh....i'm 6'-7" and dress-out just under 300 lb.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay

Good to know! I'm running a Maverick SC32 fork w/24 mm through axle, I have that stiffness, but man a saw some huge rim flex this morning. Was up and over a 4 ft high log stack and came down the back side and the front rim pushed all the way over to the fork leg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts