Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had a choice between a 29er aluminum frame or a 26 carbon frame with similar/same components, what would you choose and why?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Straz85 said:
So are you saying you're in this situation? What frames?
It is hypothetical -- trying to get a feel of what would be the better bike for a beginner with all other things being equal (the all other things being equal might not be a realistic thing though).

I forgot to add that both would be hardtails and not FS.

So, would the stiffness/lightness/forgiveness (if that is the case) of carbon outweigh the advantages of having the big wheels?

·
Trying not to kill myself
391 Posts
sandyeggo said:
It is hypothetical -- trying to get a feel of what would be the better bike for a beginner with all other things being equal (the all other things being equal might not be a realistic thing though).

I forgot to add that both would be hardtails and not FS.

So, would the stiffness/lightness/forgiveness (if that is the case) of carbon outweigh the advantages of having the big wheels?
The advantages of carbon fiber have absolutely nothing to do with the advantages of a 29er. 26" vs. a 29er is definitely a decision you need to make, but IMO, I see no reason that a beginner needs a carbon frame. Even if you plan to race, there are plenty of lightweight aluminum frames that will be fine.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gabe23 said:
The advantages of carbon fiber have absolutely nothing to do with the advantages of a 29er. 26" vs. a 29er is definitely a decision you need to make, but IMO, I see no reason that a beginner needs a carbon frame. Even if you plan to race, there are plenty of lightweight aluminum frames that will be fine.
Thanks for the response, Gabe. My noobness shines through with my line of questioning me thinks. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm a 29er fan, in fact have a HT and a fs, a alumn and a carbon one. I ride both and love em both. I personally would not go back to a 26er, however I have rode for a few years and I am a larger guy. You really need to ride both and see what feels best. I don't think frame material plays a roll here, get the size that feels better, get the most frame for the buck and ride it till it breaks of the new cool bike comes out that yo have to have. If you are directly looking at HT than seriously look at 29ers. Carbon vs alum debate is for the engineering weenies, both can be built up light, both are strong and will last 10 years plus if taken car of, and both are fun to ride. The Niner stuff, Cannondale flash, trek/garyfisher, lynsky stuff all is super nice and a good pace to start. I did break a flash frame within 2 months but I think that was more a welder issue than frame.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts