Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any 29er riders out there spent time on a 650b. I have a rigid, geared KM. I am thinking of trying out the Haro Beasley SS. I far prefer my 29er to my older 26er but thought a little variety might be interesting and the Beasley is not that high. Wondering what people who had ridden both thought.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
haven't had the chance to ride any 650B yet, but thought they'd be interesting to try. Even thought of building up a set of 650Bs to try on my KM, RIP9, an old rigid 26er and to use the front wheel on my Trance w/ a 26" rear. I say buy/build yourself a 650B wheelset and give it a try on the KM

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Look out, he's coming.........

I expect the Troll Killer will be here before too long......oh well! :rolleyes:

So anyway, yeah.......I've ridden both. In fact, before it was "cool" to ride 650B, I owned one.The thing about them is that they will roll over things and act a bit differently than a 26"er, but they don't have as much as a 29"er does of anything a 29'er has.

Now that is where you have to make a decision. Is having only "a little bit of 29"er" your cup of tea, or do you like yours "full strength"? Some may see it as a benefit to go "all the way", and some may see those "benefits" as negatives. Your call.

The 650B bikes I have ridden were all fun, they worked really well, and most of all, they were bicycles. I just prefer my wheels be bigger, the "full strength" for me. :D

The 650B bikes are worth looking into. Go for it. Nobody will figure it out better for you than you. ;)

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
If you put them on a Karate Monkey - you might want to invest in some 165mm crank arms if you plan on riding anywhere remotely rocky.

There are better ways to try 650bs IMO - find a 26" frame that will accept the wheelsize on the cheap rather than experimenting with your Karate Monkey. Just my two cents.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
If you end up loving 650B, you might as well have stuck to 26" which a whole whopping 1.00" smaller, 0.50" at the axles.

IMO 26" and 29" (+/- 2.5") are too close to warrant any tweener-size, let alone one close to 26".

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
Cloxxki said:
If you end up loving 650B, you might as well have stuck to 26" which a whole whopping 1.00" smaller, 0.50" at the axles.

IMO 26" and 29" (+/- 2.5") are too close to warrant any tweener-size, let alone one close to 26".
Yea, I don't get it. At first I thought 650b was a way people were squeezing in slightly bigger wheels into their 26er frames to get as much of that 29er feel as they could get without buying a new bike. Now I'm seeing more frames based on 650b. It seems like the inbetween size nobody really needs. You'd do better staying with a 26er or stepping up to a 29er. Now if you want to create a new wheel size, how about a 32er?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have a lot of time on both and still own a 29er... RE 650b, I have hundreds maybe even 1000+ miles on it so far.

As you can guess no complaints at all. The tire it up there with the best on the market (sort of like a tighter/lighter/more precision Rampage). As a result though it's a little expensive.

Oddly, rolling wise and general feel, to me it feels more like a 29er than a 26er for some reason. The 650b seems to tip that scale where it doesn't bounce around like the 26ers even thought it's closer to 26" than 29er.

I also messed around with 650b in the rear, 29er front up front, and that actually really woke up the bike. It felt really really balanced versus almost all of the 69ers I've ridden. Testament to it being closer to 29er.

No regrets on 650b at all. Phasing out 26er all together, unless I someday get a high travel super plush 6" bike for something, where the suspension basically takes the 26" out of the 26".

Hope it helps...

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
I get a fair number of commuting miles every year on a variety of wheelsizes and I prefer 650b with the Fatty Rumpkins to 26 inch or 29er. They are also pretty great for longer road rides, though curvy descents are still the most fun with BAs.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,763 Posts
dieselcruiserhead said:
I have a lot of time on both and still own a 29er... RE 650b, I have hundreds maybe even 1000+ miles on it so far.

As you can guess no complaints at all. The tire it up there with the best on the market (sort of like a tighter/lighter/more precision Rampage). As a result though it's a little expensive.

Oddly, rolling wise and general feel, to me it feels more like a 29er than a 26er for some reason. The 650b seems to tip that scale where it doesn't bounce around like the 26ers even thought it's closer to 26" than 29er.

I also messed around with 650b in the rear, 29er front up front, and that actually really woke up the bike. It felt really really balanced versus almost all of the 69ers I've ridden. Testament to it being closer to 29er.

No regrets on 650b at all. Phasing out 26er all together, unless I someday get a high travel super plush 6" bike for something, where the suspension basically takes the 26" out of the 26".

Hope it helps...
I would say your conclusion would sum it up for me exactly. Also, since we are both tall, that may be part of it.

A full 650b bike is a very sweet choice especially for those who are not very tall. My experience is that they really are an improvement over 26" wheels and the package seems to be stiffer and more flickable because of the lower axle than a 29" bike although 29ers are fun too. I want one of each :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hard to say for sure... I ride all 3.... 29er, 650B and 26. But here's my 2-cent spew:

29er - My choice for off-road... In fact, I have been riding both SS and geared entirely rigid (steel frames), and believe I have finally found my inner chi... (BTW I am 50 yrs old, 230 lbs, and love technical, rocky stuff, albeit at slower speeds. Don't allow the horror of rigid steel to discourage you... 29 inch wheels and cushy tires make everything all right....).

650B - Really enjoy this for general road-riding... Had a Kogswell 650B P/R that rode like velvet... I've ridden only once or twice off-road, thinking it might be comparable to 29er... it wasn't (IMO). My only beef with 650B relates to the (lack) of industry uptake so far... Sure it's getting better in some areas, but rim and tire choices STILL remain an issue.. No more Rigida Sphynx rims (what up with that???), serious sizing issues with Sun CR18 and even some Weinmann ZAC19 rims... Velocity Synergies seem to be one of the few (reliable) choices, and they're a bit pricey, AND I've had an issue or 2 with blowouts on that rim... So I remain somewhat skeptical and unconvinced......

Having spewed all that, I STILL LOVE the euphoric feel of rolling on my (26er) Salsa Ala Carte, retrofitted with 650B Synergies... almost as if that bike were MADE for 650B.

26er - I think it's still the most tried-and-true, readily available, strong and reliable wheel size out there, but it has its limitations. Can't match the off-road rollability of 29er, and not as smooth (IMO) as 650B for the road.

For my 2 cents:
29er is the bomb for off-road.
650B: Like it, but it still has a ways to go to prove its sustainability
26er, does many things well, if not one thing best

Peace, and Happy Holidays.

BB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.