Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When will there be readily available 29er UST stuff that works just like 26er UST stuff? I'm talking about a setup that is UST rims, UST tires, a nothing but a pump to get it inflated. I've seen a few UST 29er tires but no rims. I understand there are products like Stans, but I'm just wondering about UST.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Besides the aforementioned Mavic Cr29max, there are Shimano XT 29"er wheels, and an offering from Fulcrum. As of yet, there are no separate rims to be had with which one could build on any hub they wanted.

For my money, the TNT/tubeless ready format is a much smarter way to roll. Same benefits with less weight, and I have to use sealant anyway, to ward off punctures. A UST tire is much heavier, (almost 200 grams in the case of a Saguaro TNT vs Saguaro UST) and I wouldn't even consider running a tire without sealant tubeless, so that aspect of UST isn't worth it, nor would it save any weight.

It has been reported by several folks that Bontrager TLR tires on Bontrager's TLR rim strip/rims will hold air without sealant, so if I were to set up a system for the reasons of using no sealant, this is what I would try, as it would literally be 100's of grams lighter than the current 29"er UST stuff.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
It would be so nice to see more tires with a TLR bead- Racing Ralph, Ardent, a 29er Nobby Nic- that would be a good start.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Besides the aforementioned Mavic Cr29max, there are Shimano XT 29"er wheels, and an offering from Fulcrum. As of yet, there are no separate rims to be had with which one could build on any hub they wanted.

For my money, the TNT/tubeless ready format is a much smarter way to roll. Same benefits with less weight, and I have to use sealant anyway, to ward off punctures. A UST tire is much heavier, (almost 200 grams in the case of a Saguaro TNT vs Saguaro UST) and I wouldn't even consider running a tire without sealant tubeless, so that aspect of UST isn't worth it, nor would it save any weight.

It has been reported by several folks that Bontrager TLR tires on Bontrager's TLR rim strip/rims will hold air without sealant, so if I were to set up a system for the reasons of using no sealant, this is what I would try, as it would literally be 100's of grams lighter than the current 29"er UST stuff.
I strongly agree w/ all the above. I've been doing various approaches to tubeless for a while now, with an emphasis on convenience and performance, and have found that the tubeless-ready tires on Stan's rims are the best way to go for me. I do have long-travel 26er bikes still that use UST tires , but only on the rear where the extra casing durability is worth the added weight.

some of the lighter Specialized 2bliss tires have relatively porous sidewalls ( but still mount very easily w/ a floor or hand pump) but the Bonty tubeless tires have almost the functionality of a UST tire w/ lower weight. i.e. the tire mounts up and seals w/ a hand pump, no sealant required. I put in some sealant anyway after establishing this functionality.

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
+1 on what GT and frorider said mostly...the Control-casing Specialized 2bliss tires have all mounted up without sidewall leaks for me, and either those or the Hutchinson TLR bead tires mount easily with a floor pump on stan's rims. Stan's 29er rims are not UST, they are "DST"...the De Facto Standard for Tubeless. :D

I really doubt you will see a whole bunch of UST 29er tires that do not require sealant hit the market...ever...due to the weight penalty on top of the perception that 29er tires are already "heavy" as compared to 26" tires. Flyer, I'm with ya on the TLR bead tires and I would sure love to see a Kenda Small Block Eight 29er designed for tubeless. Anyone listening, tire companies?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been using the Bonty TLR rim / tire setup this year and they went on super easy with just a hand pump. After 4 races all I've had to do is check the pressue and go.

·
Registered
211 Posts
+1 on the tubeless ready option. I've been riding full UST setup on my 26" wheel bike for the last 5 years, and was really adamant that the tires had to be true UST tires, because my experience converting non-UST tires was spotty - some worked, some didn't work, and the ones that worked would still "burp" at times, or leak now and then, etc. With UST wheels plus UST tires, it was just rock solid, plus aired up easier, etc.

However, now I'm running C29ssmax wheels on my 29er, and using tubeless ready, and as the others have said, it's the ideal solution. The part you really need with UST/tubeless is the bead fit/seal. The casing is a waste, because even with a true UST tire, you should still run sealant, so why waste the extra weight of a full UST casing?

I've done tubeless conversion of Rampages and WeirWolf 29ers with not good results. I blew a Rampage off a wheel, and the WeirWolfs weren't optimal either, both have casings that are too light/thin. So, I'm using only tubeless ready tires now. I've used Conti's, but am currently focusing on the new Bontrager TLR offerings: the 29-3 (I am only using the front tire (the big one)), and the FR-3 is my real fav (it's quite large and won't fit in all frames). These both mount up tubeless with total ease! I used a floor pump to mount them, both as brand new tires, and then when swapping around. I've had no burping, and that's quite a statement given I run the FR-3's at 13psi up front and 18psi in back!

So, my take is that I want a UST rim, and then I'll use tubeless ready tires with it. I have not used Stan's rims, but apparently they're equivalent and you'll have more choices (specifically you'll be able to get wider rims if you want).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts