Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't believe that Mavic doesn't make a UST rim in 29" yet...

Who are the manufacturers that do? I'm about 190lbs and about to turn my GF Paragon over to the sale block or turn it into a SS.

Can anyone recommend a true UST rim that I don't have to run rim strips with ?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
juanverde said:
Can't believe that Mavic doesn't make a UST rim in 29" yet...

Who are the manufacturers that do? I'm about 190lbs and about to turn my GF Paragon over to the sale block or turn it into a SS.

Can anyone recommend a true UST rim that I don't have to run rim strips with ?

Thanks,
Mavic does, but it is available only in a complete wheelset.

The Bonty TLR rims and strips are made to UST spec and once the hard plastic rim strip is in place you do not even know it is there. They work very well with tubeless ready and UST tires.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How easy is it to run Mavic Crossmax tubeless? I had a hard time with my WTB TrailDisc wheelset.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Beaker13 said:
How easy is it to run Mavic Crossmax tubeless? I had a hard time with my WTB TrailDisc wheelset.
VERY easy. They ARE UST rims. Just install the valve and use UST or tubeless ready tires.

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
so there is always the stans rims.

So it sounds like the list is:
Stans Arch, Flow & ZTR
Bontranger TLR
Mavic C29ssmax (full wheel only)

Any others? I am very interested in this as well. I plan on building up a nice set on hope hubs here in a few months.

·
Happy Trails
1,190 Posts
I just got a set of Shimano XT 29'r UST rims for $399 ... I'm still building the bike but they seem like fairly good middle-of-the-road rims. What tires to use for trail riding, though?

·
Registered
390 Posts
check my "running non tubeless on mavic cr29ssmax" thread a few threads below this. Mavic cr29ssmax are UST even though there are only a few UST tires out there. Geax and Hutchison are the only companies I know of. I ran python tubeless ready for awhile but now I am experimenting with non tubeless tires. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. A few say it is great. I think Stans rims would have been just as good and given me custom build options with hubs, but I am sold on the crossmax franchise. Being a 200 pound rider and never breaking spokes and untruing wheels on crossmaxes, sells me.

The mavic cr29ssmax are around $775 by the way for the wheelset.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mattKHS said:
so there is always the stans rims.

So it sounds like the list is:
Stans Arch, Flow & ZTR
Bontranger TLR
Mavic C29ssmax (full wheel only)

Any others? I am very interested in this as well. I plan on building up a nice set on hope hubs here in a few months.
Stan's rims are in no manner UST rims, which is what the OP asked for.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
While the Stan's rims are not true UST, they work as well with UST or TLR tires (I don't use regular tires but most probably do- with the Notubes rims). I have a set of Flows on the RIP and the Arch on the Racer X 29er. The RIP has seen some rough trails at Moab with not one burp or problem. I have been using the Arch here in Colorado with no issues either. That was my main concern- a weak rim-bead to tire-bead connection but even with just the yellow tape, the "lock" seems to be strong.

On the next set, I may try the Bontrager rims unless Mavic or DT come out with a separate UST rim that I can use for a custom build.

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
shiggy said:
Stan's rims are in no manner UST rims, which is what the OP asked for.
okay then, other than the Mavic, is there any ture "certified" UST? i thought the bontys are also "tubeless ready".

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I currently have the Bontrager "tubeless ready" wheels....you still have to tape them and and use stan's etc.

I had a pair of crossmax's on my 26er that were darn near bulletproof...I'm 190lbs
I wouldn't mind those, but this will be for a SS build-up.

I've used UST tires and non-UST tires with success with both. I was just hoping that by now somebody has got a rim without having all the rim tape / hassle etc.

Shimano has a UST ??? anybody have a link ?

·
Happy Trails
1,190 Posts
Shimano MT75 29r Wheel Set Notes & Photos

Here's a little more first impressions on the MT75, which I am building onto a Titus RX29, but have NOT ridden yet (so I apologize in advance... would not normally review a wheel that I'd not ridden on, but since we have this thread going...):

- I paid $399 at Chain Reaction, but now it seems like they are about $460. I see them from $500-600 commonly... I don't know if they are worth $600, but they are sure worth $450.

- Out of the box build quality is very good, with consistent spoke tension and perfectly true balance. The quality, fit and finish is typical of XT level gear.

- The wheels are not a smooth rolling as my 26r Easton Havocs, probably due in part to non-sealed bearings. This will make for easy maintenance, though. IMO the sweet-factor in the hubs is not high as the rims, spokes, and red annodized nipples, though. I counted clicks and came up with 36 points of engagement in the rear mechanism, so it's not as responsive as a premium wheel.

- These wheels take splined CenterLock rotors only ... no six-bolts (and no rim brakes).

- Aesthetically the black on black on black wheels will complement your rig, if you care about that stuff (I care about that stuff). The graphics are painted on, which is a nice touch.

- I'll weigh them at work and update later, but they are light, but appear rugged enough for trail riding. I'll also post a real review once I have some miles on them.

WHICH TIRES, THOUGH? The only Rugged XC-Trail tubeless tires I can find so far are Hutchinson Toro 29X2.15's, but these are rated as "tubeless ready" and not UST. Is there a difference? I found them on Hutch's website but can't find a dealer ... CompCyc has Hutch Pythons that also are "tubeless ready" and require sealant application. Can anyone recommend a good 29r UST trail tire? I'm leaning towards Mountain Kings or Nevs with tubes until I can find a good UST tire, and I'll Xterra Race on something like a CrossMark with an Ultralite tube. I'm old school so don't know about Stan's but I guess I'll look into that, too. Can I Stan-seal an MK or a Nev?

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Facts on the MT 75

Weight
front: 835 gr.
rear: 999 gr.

both w/o valve & skewers

First impressions:

+ stiff
+ perfect true
+ real UST (I always have mess with stans rims, valve is blowing all the time)

IMO best bang for the bug for 29r wheelsets, currently

WH-MT 75 rear

WH-MT 75 front

more pictures

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
The whole UST thing is becoming a joke, I've been looking for months for a written set of rules as to what constitutes UST.
My understanding is that originally, UST meant that the wheel or tire had a special bead and had to be airtight without sealant
Now several tire manufacturers have muddied up the waters with UST that requires sealant to work
right now there are 2 UST wheels that I know of in 29" Mavic and Shimano
the only UST tire is Geax, all the other 29" tires are "tubeless" which means they require sealant
What does this mean in the real world? very little, most people who go tubeless use sealant, even with UST as protection against flats. So that is pretty much a non issue. That leaves the wheels, What difference does it make if your wheels are airtight via tape over the spoke holes or some type of airtight metalwork? as long as they're airtight. If fact the tape is probably lighter.
I personally prefer the Tubeless ready type tires over the UST, the only disadvantage I can find is the sidewalls wear fast at low pressures

·
Shattering Glass
705 Posts
I'm going to be running panaracer rampages tubeless on my crossmax wheels with sealant. I don't see any problem with this setup as I am on my third set of rampages and they lock on tight to my rims. I will follow up

·
Registered
109 Posts
dan0 said:
The whole UST thing is becoming a joke, I've been looking for months for a written set of rules as to what constitutes UST.
--8<--
That leaves the wheels, What difference does it make if your wheels are airtight via tape over the spoke holes or some type of airtight metalwork? as long as they're airtight. If fact the tape is probably lighter.
That IS the big difference and it is important, at least for me

I'm using ZTR Arch with yellow tape for over one year now and I have always problems getting the valves air tight. Over 2 bar air pressure the sealant will blow sideways the valve. I installed it many time, following stans manual, always same problem. On top of that, Stans valve has side play, which doesn't help in this situation.

A few month ago I had a broken nipple. That follows:

• remove tire
  • remove yellow tape
  • replace nipple
  • install new tape
  • install tube, to press fit the tape
  • mount tire
  • do a ride
  • remove tire
  • deinstall the tube
  • mount tire
  • fill in sealant

This is a mess and the leaky valve is always a problem.

With the Shimano/Mavic UST:

Mount tire, fill in sealant and be happy. Broken nipple or spoke? Leave the tire on, change it easy. Rim and valve are always air tight.

You're right on UST tires, but not on wheels/rims. Just my 2 cent.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts