Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking at getting some. Possibly going with Hutchinson TORO on the front and either Hutchinson Pythong or Geax Saguaro on the rear.
What are the side wall difference between these and the likes of the Maxxis 29ers ?
I have got a small 1cm side wall tear already on the Maxxis crossmark (sealed straight up as I didn't even notice :)) but would like to get something tougher on the Giant 29er rims.
Has anyone got this combination ? or have any thoughts on it.

http://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/catalogue-vtt.php?fiche=toro-end-tl.php&univers=5&pid=100TORO

http://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/catalogue-vtt.php?fiche=python-end-tlr.php&univers=5&pid=94Python

http://www.geax.com/en/products/?cat=2&prod=4Saguaro

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone at all have any more information about 29er tyres with a thick sidewall (tubeless ready, tnt or UST.)??? Having no luck with this.

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
thats because there are no UST tires for 29er only tubeless ready
and few have the extra wear layer, apparently, the companies are afraid of too much weight.
if you can get a tire with the extra layer ( hardcore, armadillo, etc. give it a try) for regular TLR or tubeless tires I've found that the Conti mtn king and the wtb Wolverine have pretty decent sidewalls, most do not

·
Que je suis bete!
438 Posts
Didn't try

I didn't try to put them on my Arches. I put them, easily, on the Crossmax' and they have been holding air forever.

·
livin' the dream......
1,956 Posts
I picked up a set the day before New Years eve, did they discontinue these tires?

I like 'em.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
tjkm said:
I picked up a set the day before New Years eve, did they discontinue these tires?

I like 'em.
It seems that they were dumped in favor of the TNT tires that Geax does. The weight disparity was pretty hard to accept with the UST versions.

On the Stan's compatibility: You can get UST and TNT tires on Stan's rims, but it is very difficult. A field repair would be out of the question.

It is also worth noting that I have heard some riders getting TNT tires to hold air without sealant, along with some Bontrager TLR tires and some versions of Specialized's 2Bliss tires. Basically rendering UST unnecessary. At least UST as it is traditionally known.

If destroying tires is the problem, forcing you to look for heavier casings, might I suggest the Kodiak and the soon to be released Dissent tires from WTB. ;)

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
I was able to get my Geax Barro Race TNT tires to hold air without sealant. Mounted on XT 29r tubeless wheels. I did put sealant in them before my first ride though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Decisions now. Has anyone run these ones on a Giant 29er rim ?. I had the sidewall of the maxxis crossmark blow out on me today after a small 1cm side wall tear turned into 3 cm tear and BOOF alien sperm on the track hahaha.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Yorto said:
Decisions now. Has anyone run these ones on a Giant 29er rim ?. I had the sidewall of the maxxis crossmark blow out on me today after a small 1cm side wall tear turned into 3 cm tear and BOOF alien sperm on the track hahaha.
Yorto, how much do you weigh again??

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reason for the sidewall tear was a very sharp rock that tore it.
I am around 125-130kg.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,589 Posts
I'm hard on rear tires but I do like tubeless. I run a TNT Saguaro, and a Armadillo Captain currently. Promising but not tried; Wolverine and FR-3. Exiwolfs?

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
dan0 said:
thats because there are no UST tires for 29er only tubeless ready
and few have the extra wear layer, apparently, the companies are afraid of too much weight.
if you can get a tire with the extra layer ( hardcore, armadillo, etc. give it a try) for regular TLR or tubeless tires I've found that the Conti mtn king and the wtb Wolverine have pretty decent sidewalls, most do not
Yes there are. In addition to the Hutch Python UST and the Geax Saguaro, check out Specialized Grid technology tires. (Fast Trak and Captain) From their website;

The Captain Grid UST Tire
LIGHTWEIGHT UST XC TRAIL PERFORMANCE HARDPACK/INTERMEDIATE/LOOSE CONDITIONS
With fast-rolling center knobs for exceptional transition and edge knobs to attack any trail, the Captain Gid is the perfect tire for control and predictability.

•GRID technology offers the ultimate in UST-like durability, without the need for sealant
•Casing: 60 TPI
•Bead: Aramid
•Center Compound: 70a / Shoulder Compound: 60a
•UST light construction

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
mtn hack said:
Yes there are. In addition to the Hutch Python UST and the Geax Saguaro, check out Specialized Grid technology tires. (Fast Trak and Captain) From their website;

The Captain Grid UST Tire
LIGHTWEIGHT UST XC TRAIL PERFORMANCE HARDPACK/INTERMEDIATE/LOOSE CONDITIONS
With fast-rolling center knobs for exceptional transition and edge knobs to attack any trail, the Captain Gid is the perfect tire for control and predictability.

•GRID technology offers the ultimate in UST-like durability, without the need for sealant
•Casing: 60 TPI
•Bead: Aramid
•Center Compound: 70a / Shoulder Compound: 60a
•UST light construction
the python and Saguaro are tubeless ready according to their website not UST in 29"
the specialized Captain & Fast track grid have never been in stock on their website so I dont think they're available either

I dont know what they're talking about with the statement "•GRID technology offers the ultimate in UST-like durability, without the need for sealant" since UST doesnt require sealant

1 - 20 of 26 Posts