Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put some Specialized tubes in my new Easton XC Two wheels and they just had 1 thread sticking thru the double wall rim, just about didn't get the nut on. So who makes a 29er tube with more than 1/2 in. of threads are threads all the way up the stem like my 26er's
Thanks Joe

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I think this is a Specialized only feature. All my other tubes have threads up to the top of the valve stem to thread on the nut. I just purchased some Specialized tubes for my SS 29'er and while mounting the tire, I had to hold the valve with my fingers. Once mounted, I pulled the valve through to secure the nut. These are the first tubes I have seen made like this.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Joe V said:
I just put some Specialized tubes in my new Easton XC Two wheels and they just had 1 thread sticking thru the double wall rim, just about didn't get the nut on. So who makes a 29er tube with more than 1/2 in. of threads are threads all the way up the stem like my 26er's
Thanks Joe
You do not need the nut.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
You are correct. You don't need the nuts, it's just much more convenient to have them. If I was in Joe's position and the Specialized tubes didn't expose enough threads to install the nut, I would either try to return them or get more tubes from some another shop that did have fully threaded valve stems.

Just sayin'

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I don't know that I'd bother. I like the convenience of the nut, but I have a few tubes with no threading, and they still find their way into my repair kits, onto my bikes, and get repaired when I flat them.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Lumbee1 said:
You are correct. You don't need the nuts, it's just much more convenient to have them. If I was in Joe's position and the Specialized tubes didn't expose enough threads to install the nut, I would either try to return them or get more tubes from some another shop that did have fully threaded valve stems.

Just sayin'
I have not used a valve nut on a tube in maybe 15 years.

They can be useful if you have trouble keeping the valve stem from pushing in when putting a pump on it. Other than that, they have no function.

If the valve stem is long enough to fit the pump head, returning the tubes is a waste of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.