Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a trance x2 29er last year. I've changed to a shorter stem, changed bars and did what I could to make it more comfortable. I'm 5'8 about 180. 30 inch inseam and I'm on a small frame. No matter what, I feel like I'm on top of the bike causing me to not have enough leverage to toss it around through trails or in the air. My lbs carry Scott, spec, and trek and they are not any better. Nobody had any 650's when I bought this, so I don't know if the smaller wheel size will help. I do like the bike but is there anyway to adjust anything to help this. I can flat spin 3's, manual for days, hop on picnic tables, etc on a bmx. On this it feels like I'm fighting it to get where I want it.

·
4 Niners
2,124 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but it is because you see the tires and they look closer than you are used to. If you put the bike next to a 26er you can see that the relationship between the crank, seat, bars, etc is the same. The first time I rode a 29er I felt that way too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I rode a 29er hardtail that weighed 30 pounds and had heavy wheels for a year. Thought my next bike would be a 650b..untill I rode a fuel ex9. I dunno the specs of ypur bike but try lighter wheels. Im 5'6

·
Registered
307 Posts
My fuel ex7 felt fine till I tried,climbing very steep inclines and had to navigate up and around rocks. I'm a small guy so I figured that the wheels were too big and I wasn't big enough - like I felt on my 26er. I got used to it. So will you. Also, I'm planning on upgrading my heavy duster 29s to a set of lightweight carbon hoops....when I test rode an ibis Ripley it had ztr crests on it. I'm sure this is why it felt nimbler too :)

Also - I used to bmx too. You can't EVER get close to that kind of maneuverability on a full-on MTB. Not happening. I'm pretty certain that after you change to a set of lighter hoops it will make a difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just want to be able to toss it a little through the trails and recorrect if I catch something a little off. As of now it feels impossible on this thing

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
Overall weight of the bike compared to you varies a lot - I ride a 34lb 4.7" travel 29er, but it feels downright handy because I'm around 7x the weight of the bike. Simple things like seat tube angle, weight of the wheels/fork/handlebar/stem can make the front end seem heavier, but if you were expecting anything to handle like a BMX bike which has 29" wheels and any kind of travel, you're just fighting physics. A lighter fork, lighter wheels can help, but just look at the geometry of where you're pulling from: on a BMX bike you're pulling a shorter mass at a better leverage angle, but can't monster truck through/over things.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Lighter wheels and tires will help. Lighten everything else up as much as you can too.

Some of what you're experiencing is the gyroscopic effect of larger wheels. In the end, that could be the problem for you. You'll just have to decide if you want to spend money on another bike to fix the problem, or spend money on this one to see if you can fix it.

·
4 Niners
2,124 Posts
Yes Shorter chainstays, except it is not really the chainstays but the position of the rear axle relative to you. My Air9 and my Air9 carbon have almost the same length chainstays, but the seat tube on the Air9 Carbon is bent and the rear wheel is actually relatively much further forward. It is way easier to lift the front on the Air9 Carbon because the rear wheel is more under you. And of course, that means the Air9 Carbon turns faster and the Air9 is more stable. Because of this the Air9 is actually easier to ride (if you are not racing) but the Air9 Carbon feels so much faster and nimbler and rides smaller.

·
Registered
190 Posts
At 5'8 shouldnt you be on a medium frame? Im 5'9" 200lbs and have always ridden mediums.

cent frum my fone so don't cumplane about spelling or grammer

·
Registered
249 Posts
You're probably in between a small and medium, as I think Giants tend to run big. The stock wheel set on that bike is definitely heavy. My wife has an X-small Trance 29er1. She got the shop to put Stan's Crest wheels on there and it made all the difference. Also, when I've ridden her bike, it has a much more "in the bike" feeling than my 2012 Salsa Horsethief. Might be that you are just getting used to 29ers still. The Trance also has a fairly short rear end for 29ers, so it should be pretty maneuverable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What rims and hubs are a good combo without breaking the bank though, I ride a small since my legs are short. Medium felt to stretched out. And yeah I'm between sizes on most bikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I'm looking at wheels. Carbons are way too pricey for my riding right now but if I go stans I can roughly save about 1 1/4 to 1.5lbs depending. Or I can go to a better fork and drop 1.5. Which would be more beneficial and why. Again this is for making the bike more maneuverable through trails. Don't really care about the speed aspect, as I can go plenty fast now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would think wheels because rotational mass makes a huge difference in bike response.

cent frum my fone so don't cumplane about spelling or grammer

1 - 20 of 24 Posts