Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what folks would recommend for front and rear 29er tires here. The SM100 supposedly has a lot of fireroad climbing (14k feet?) followed by long rocky singletrack decents. Sounds amazing, but trying to get both low rolling resistance on the ups and technical capability on the downs seems to be a conflicting combo. Any tire suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
Something Knobby. . .

I did it last year on IRC Mythos and they worked well. A friend used Kenda Klaws and they worked well. This year, without buying something new, ,my choices are Nanoraptors or Motoraptors. I'm planning on running the Motoraptors.

It's true there's a lot of fire road climbing, and even a fair amount of paved climbing, but there are some hariy descents in the woods where having a little more knobbiness makes me feel a little better. Especially once I start to get a little more fatigued. . .

·
Registered
215 Posts
tires

First year on a 29er for me but did the last 2 years on a 26" SS with mythos tires.

It's hard to bet on the weather cause things can change alot on a 8-13hr event.

All the riders I know that did the race (maybe 40-50) ran some sort of standard knobby tread.

I would consider a semi slick type rear tire if I knew for sure it was going to be really dry.

Seems like it rains for an hour during the race every year though.

Good luck and see you out there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts