Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved to the Tempe 2 weeks ago from the midwest. Needless to say a bit different terrain. Only a couple weeks on the trails and looking for a different tire setup. Wondering what folks around here are riding

Building a new wheelset for my 29er single speed. Will be using the Stan's Crest wheels with a tubeless setup. Thinking of going with a Conti mountain king in the front with their race king in the rear, but am definitely open to suggestions.

What have you tried and what has worked, your comments are much appreciated...

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
theothermichaeldiaz said:
Just moved to the Tempe 2 weeks ago from the midwest. Needless to say a bit different terrain. Only a couple weeks on the trails and looking for a different tire setup. Wondering what folks around here are riding

Building a new wheelset for my 29er single speed. Will be using the Stan's Crest wheels with a tubeless setup. Thinking of going with a Conti mountain king in the front with their race king in the rear, but am definitely open to suggestions.

What have you tried and what has worked, your comments are much appreciated...
I'm running 29ers, both front and rear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Kenda Nevegal up front and Saguaro Geax in the rear... Running tubeless at about 29psi or so with good grip. Got about 400 miles of SoMo, Hawes, MMP, PMP type of trails and they're holding up alright.

Welcome to AZ by the way. Sorry you've got to deal with the heat right off the bat. It won't last though.

Yeah, the Geax I've liked on the rear is the TNT version. No issue with side wall on XC/AM type of riding...

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
It all depends greatly on what you ride.

For "all-mountain" use, I find the Panaracer Rampage 29 pretty hard to beat. It's a little slow rolling, but it's durable and grippy...and it does very well tubeless.

For "XC"-ish use, I see a lot of people riding the WTB Weirwolf LT. It's a balloon tire that rolls well and seems to stay together despite our terrible terrain. I have been using Geax Saguaro TNT's up front with limited success, and really can't recommend it as a front tire because of so-so traction in the loose-over-hard terrain that is common here.

On the rear you want a fast rolling tire. We don't have roots here so there is no need for a tire with widely spaced knobs. I like the Geax Saguaro TNT and WTB Exiwolf as a 29'er rear tire.

Tires I don't like:

Maxxis Ardent - nice grip but a weak piece of sh!t. I demolished 2 of them and gave up.

Regular Geax Saguaro (tubeless) - sidewalls are paper thin so they tear easily and make the tire feel "squirmy"

Kenda Small Block 8 (DTC compound) - nice rolling rear tire that works great for the first 2 rides and then disentegrates. I really wanted to like this tire, but after going through 6 or 7, I just had to break off the relationship.

You'll pretty soon find that no tire works great in AZ. If it's light, it's going to get destroyed. If it's heavy, it's going to be...heavy. If it's grippy in our loose soil, it's going to roll slow. And if it rolls fast, it's going to wash out. There is no perfect combination...just the right compromise that best fits your riding style.

Thx...Doug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts