Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, new to the 29er world with an Epic Comp 29er and love it. I upgraded from an EX 8 and had Kenda Nevegal USTs on it. Now I have this XC 29er and am looking for a UST tire with better cornering properties. I'm currently running stock with Specialized "The Captain" on the front and "Fast Trak LK" on the rear and was wanting some suggestions for replacement tires that preform better in cornering. Some seasoned 29er experience would be helpful. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too am new to 29ers (and the forums) - I have Nanoraptor 2.1s on my 2008 SE Stout - rims are Alex DM18.I bought the bike used and I'm pretty sure this is all stock/standard. I will almost exclusively be riding on NYC streets, and I will do it year round. I like the raptors a lot - they seem to roll decently fast on the street and they seem really comfortable off road in grass or hard packed dirt.

In reviews and other threads I'm seeing that raptors are not a bad choice for the street. But I wonder if there are better, fast-rolling, street options out there. I'm curious about narrower options also - narrow means less resistance, right?

If anyone has experience and wants to weigh in, that would be awesome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Narrower tire would mean less resistance, yes. I think on a mountain bike, if all you're doing is streets, something in 2.0 range would suffice. I would rather something in the 2.1-2.3 for my XC riding, but am unfamilliar with the options. I also want to run tubeless so factoring in that is also important.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Armor -

So far I'm looking at Kenda Kosmik Lite II and WTB Vulpine as options.

or I can stay put with the raptors...

My hunch is that for the winter commute on I will appreciate something less slick, especially in snow or ice. But its a hard decision, because most days I'd probably be happier with something designed for dry street. In NYC there's really only a few weeks each year where you're dealing with actual snow and ice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.