Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
wnymba-imba ~VP
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
real quick, i have a 2011 Giant xtc 29'er that i picked up in the fall. (pretty sweet) and it came with maxxis aspen tires. overall i think it is a good tire, but not for all the terrain i ride. i used other kenda and wtb tires and never 100% liked any of them. (nevagal, weirwolf) i'm still branching out into what options are available without being biased. i wouldn't mind a maxxis either. bottom line, most of the terrain i ride is rocky, rooty, loose, wet, and almost never gets to be a good hardpark except for one month out of the year. i'm willing to change tires throughout the season, i just could use some suggestions for all the more aggressive parts of the season.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Do you ride mostly XC style riding?
Do you run tubeless?

I have a friend that lives in Maryland...I think similar terrain to what you have, which is close to what I had while living in Europe. I am personally a fan of Maxxis Tires, but also like Conti's (they work great in wet weather).

I would say run a Maxxis Ignitor out front...that will give a lot of lateral grip, even in loos over hard...they can be setup tubeless if you get the EXO version.

On the back, you have options. I have ran Conti Race Kings, but don't like how they clog up in mud..but great wet tire.

I prefer the Crossmark by Maxxis, but I have been riding the Ikons for the last 500mi, and I don't think there is a better XC tire out there....PERIOD! They are more aggressive than the Alpines. If you want a big big volume tire, go with the Ardents front/rear. The EXO version is easier to setup tubeless (thicker sidewall, more durable).

You could run Ikons front and rear, and probably not run into problems. They have great grip and stability (not as much as Ignitors, but Ignitors are really overkill for most situations).

I would suggest Maxxis Ignitor EXO front, Maxxis Ikon EXO rear or Maxxis Ikon EXO Front and rear.

·
wnymba-imba ~VP
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks forth feedback! I mostly ride cross country, but it's super rough. Can slip off camber a lot and is always moist and loose. There a lot of ups and downs as well as some semi steep stuff, nothing into DH, but sometimes pushing the limits. I've been also riding a giant trance x custom that I built from frame up that is amazing! Still looking for the perfect tire for my area as well. That bike will get a full make over this year so the focus is riding the 29'er. Those tires you mentioned sound promising. I will to look into those closer.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,429 Posts
I ride Ignitors front and rear,

Not best in mud and they look wimpy. I bought used Niner w/ ignitors and laughed at them until I rode them, and then ordered new ones for 2 bikes (29 ers). If the mud is not bad I think the WTB Prowler 2.3 on my 26 inch bike is AWESOME for wet-lots of sipes. The prowler will clog if muddy. Prowler in Norcal is good for wet if not muddy. I reread your post and if no mud try prowler 2.3 (avail in 29er ?).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.