Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
the mountian is within
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized i have tried 3 different tires this year-and am waiting on more styles as i type. I always go back to my fav. But,still i have desire to try them all! It just made me think back to the early 29 days...Nano's-and they were aresome! Now after yrs of 2.4's i'm thinking-i ran lil ol 2.2's and 2.o and even 1.95's on 26in-so why not try smaller 29er rubber! So now i have dozens of new treads to shread! I will never get to upgrade or buy a new bike...i spend it all on tires! Thank you tire companies for finnally getting behind the 29ers! :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
Hi my name is rockcrusher and I am a tire junkie. It all started back in the middle 80's when i had Specialized Ground Controls but then they release a Ground Control S and I had to have it.

It escalated through the years, Onza Dan and Daves, Porcupines and then White Porcupines, Ritchey Z-max then Ritchey Z-max 2.35 then Ritchey Alpha and Omega bites.

Soon the era of truly epic tires began, Tioga DH tires, WTB Tyrannoraptors, Specialized DH tires, WTB nanonraptors. Then I got a 29er and the tires began to flow: rampages, stouts, intense system 4 29, saguaros, and finally dissents.

I almost never spend anything on bike parts as most of my disposable income goes to tires and wheels to make those tires better. My bike has become flintstone simple, no gears no suspension all to make the tires more apparent.

Thankfully I found the dissents and mounted to my Sun MTX 33 29 rims and filled with stans I can begin the healing process I think...at least until the next phase of 29er tire development begins.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Hmmmm.......between the Tallboy, El Mariachi, and my wife's EMD, I have swapped tires on each bike at least once a week for the last 6 or 7 weeks, trying different tires and/or combinations.

Same thing.....always looking for the next great tire.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I'm glad I'm not alone.
I've gone through about 25 different tires.....and am always looking for new ones.

And wheels.....I have bought I -don't-know how many wheels to try out.

Thank God for Ebay to send what I didn't like off to where ever.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I can relate, I think I have about twenty 29er tyres right now. It's the cheapest way to do something that could change your bike drastically without breaking the bank. Good news is, per capita, barbados now I think has the most 29ers in the world according to population :D Population is about 275k and we have 9 - 29ers, not bad for a little island.

For those in the US :p
SSINGA said:
Which is why the tire swap thread is great! One set out, one set in.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
LyNx said:
I can relate, I think I have about twenty 29er tyres right now. It's the cheapest way to do something that could change your bike drastically without breaking the bank. Good news is, per capita, barbados now I think has the most 29ers in the world according to population :D Population is about 275k and we have 9 - 29ers, not bad for a little island.

For those in the US :p
Yes & some people have 9 or more 29er in there shed,I only have 5 so I'm just playing.

I like the 2.4 Ardent but its heavy & I hate the 2.25 Ardent,

My go to tyre when not running the 2.4 Ardent is the 2.1 Ignitor but would really like a 2.3

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I had 3 and that's just me, not me and the wife or SO :p Considering there's only 50 or less who MTB here I'd say that's a huge % of those who do.
muzzanic said:
Yes & some people have 9 or more 29er in there shed,I only have 5 so I'm just playing.

I like the 2.4 Ardent but its heavy & I hate the 2.25 Ardent,

My go to tyre when not running the 2.4 Ardent is the 2.1 Ignitor but would really like a 2.3

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Guilty. Happiness is having lots of tires in the garage and time to ride them. I rarely wear them out before I'm on to the next in search of front tire cornering grip, low rolling resistance, low weight, good feel and rear tire traction for braking.

I'm afflicted on the road as well. I can't get my head around the idea of training tires. I think it's a dumb concept. The idea is that you only race on your expensive, nice tires and train on tires that are less expensive and last longer.
So when you are racing ( I don't on the road) and not paying attention to your tires you get the good ones but when your just out for a nice road ride you ride the crap.
I don't subscribe to this concept.

Is there really a tire swap thread?

·
turtles make me hot
11,664 Posts
On my old 26er, my combo of choice was Specialized More Extreme on the rear and Tioga Psycho K's up front. I used to volume buy them from Supergo. When I got into 29ers, I was lost. The only thing to do was try, try and try some more. Now I'm trying a few different width rims and seeing which tire works best on which rim.
Right now, my favorite front tire is a Bontrager FR3 on a Salsa Gordo. Looks huge in a Reba.

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Is there a such thing as tires Anonymous? It is something of an addiction for sure- but gotta love finding just the right ones-

I have had:
Maxxis Ardent 2.4's
Geax Saguro's
Kenda Nevegal's
Kenda Small Block 8's
Schwalbe RR 2.4's
Maxxis Ignitor's
..... can't remember the rest (let alone 26"..)

I have slimmed down but down to: (but how many of each I can't say)
Weirwolve 2.55's
RR 2.25's
Specialized Captain Controls
Kenda Karma 2.2 LR3's
Rampages
Icon Exo's
Ardent 2.25's
Aspen 2.1
NN 2.25's
Maxxis Crossmark's
... revolving

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.