Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on the tires for my 29er. Most of the trails here in KY are hard pack, with sporadic roots and some rocky area's. I also plan on doing some races, so rolling resistance and weight are concerns. So I was thinking Jones ACX, However I'm also pretty hard on tires (no weak sidewalls). So far it seems like the Rampage is the best choice (just worried about Rolling resist, and finding them in stock.), but I am also thinking Motoraptor, Ignitor, and perhaps mythos 2. Any suggestions.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
phantom_309 said:
I'm trying to decide on the tires for my 29er. Most of the trails here in KY are hard pack, with sporadic roots and some rocky area's. I also plan on doing some races, so rolling resistance and weight are concerns. So I was thinking Jones ACX, However I'm also pretty hard on tires (no weak sidewalls). So far it seems like the Rampage is the best choice (just worried about Rolling resist, and finding them in stock.), but I am also thinking Motoraptor, Ignitor, and perhaps mythos 2. Any suggestions.
Buy a bunch of 29"er tires and see what you like for your own individual needs and terrain.

Personally, I wouldn't race the Rampages on a hard pack XC course. Ignitor, Nano, Karma 1.9, Crow, ACX, XR would all find their way on my bike for a race before the heavier meat would when it comes to racing.

Best way is to buy yourself a stable of tires and rotate them around until you find your perfect combinations for all kinds of riding in your area.

BB

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
I'd at least start out with a set of Rampages. If you mount them both in the "forward" direction they roll prety fast, and you'll still have plenty of grip for hardpack.

You might also consider the Specialized Resolution, which has nearly the volume and reportedly rolls a bit faster, as well as the Nanoraptor and possibly the Ignitor. In my experience the Ignitor doesn't roll any faster than the Rampage, but it certainly is lighter. The Nano won't have as much grip as the Rampa or the Reso but will probably roll faster.

You might also consider the new Kenda Karma 2.2. The older, smaller Karmas were somewhat flimsy but very light and fast rolling. The new 2.2 is much, much beefier and should still roll well. Make sure to get the new larger one made after they started correctly labeling the small ones as "1.9". For at least the first year, the small ones were optimistically labeled as "2.2" (mine is 440g!) and you do not want one of those for your use.

By all accounts, skip the Motoraptor.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
phantom_309 said:
If you'll be on hard pack and care about rolling resistance, I would avoid the Rampage and the ACX. I would also avoid the Motoraptor.

The Resolution might be your best bet.

Other good tires would be: Ignitor, Mythos, Notos, Nanoraptor, Karma, XR, Weirwolf.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.