Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
STRAVA!!!!!!
886 Posts
Captain 2.3 up front and a maxis Ignitor 2.1 rear for the light set up and good traction.
Maxis minion DHF 2.5 front and 2.3 DHR rear for ultimate traction on anything....on the front range.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Maxis minion DHF 2.5 front and 2.3 DHR rear for ultimate traction on anything....on the front range.
I run this, but DHR2. The siping of v2 is better for cornering, and the grip is stoopid good! The bad part is this combo isn't very light.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I run this, but DHR2. The siping of v2 is better for cornering, and the grip is stoopid good! The bad part is this combo isn't very light.
I just ordered this combo today after riding a bike with it a week ago. You are not kidding just after I ordered them I noticed the weight and wanted to cancel and re-think that order. I do prefer stuff that works and does not break.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
I just ordered this combo today after riding a bike with it a week ago. You are not kidding just after I ordered them I noticed the weight and wanted to cancel and re-think that order. I do prefer stuff that works and does not break.
Unless you're racing, these are the bomb-diggidy! If you don't want, I have a pair of Racing Ralph 2.4s I'll trade you...new in box. Keep in mind they're race day ruber...

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,423 Posts
What are they? 6 lbs per tire? :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Unless you're racing, these are the bomb-diggidy! If you don't want, I have a pair of Racing Ralph 2.4s I'll trade you...new in box. Keep in mind they're race day ruber...
No racing for me. I prefer no rules, no fixed course just keep going until the group is tired and stopping along the way to exercise poor judgement attempting scary obstacles. This has been my approach to riding motos over the years and I hope to apply it to mountain biking this summer as well. Thanks for the trade offer but to be honest I do like to suffer a little.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
No racing for me. I prefer no rules, no fixed course just keep going until the group is tired and stopping along the way to exercise poor judgement attempting scary obstacles. This has been my approach to riding motos over the years and I hope to apply it to mountain biking this summer as well. Thanks for the trade offer but to be honest I do like to suffer a little.
Dude, you'll love that DHF/DHR2 combo...like your bike grew claws for rocks/dirt! And honestly, you won't really notice the weight.
I pump mine up to 30/32, frt/rr...because I run carbon hoops and am too cheap to want to replace those hoops from denting them on rocks.

·
@2whlfun
542 Posts
I'm currently loving a Butcher Control 2.4 X29 in front @25psi on AC Wide Lightning wheel. Out back it's a Maxxis Ikon 2.35 EXO @28psi.

The front is unreal although soft the rear skids quickly under braking but doesn't slip under power.

I have previously had good luck with Captain Control 2.2 in front and Ground Control Grid in back on the race bike.

·
Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
2,640 Posts
Just to throw a slightly different combo into the equation, if you are willing to trade some grip for speed I am currently running the following:

Maxxis Ardent Race 29x2.2 3C/EXO/TR (Ardent Race | Maxxis USA)
and
Maxxis Ignitor 29X2.10 EXO/TR (Ignitor | Maxxis USA)

The Ardent Race is a completely different animal to the regular Ardent. It's faster and has (imo) more cornering grip.

Still the combination is not a grippy as the Hans Dampf I had before but it is much faster and has lower rolling resistance for not that much less grip..

At some point I'd like to try the DHF/DHR II combo but I'm not sure my legs can push that much weight round in circles....

I run the front at 22 psi and the back at 25 psi and have no issues with holding air or burbing on i23 rims. (BTW I weigh about 180-185 kitted up).

·
2,881 Posts
Minion DHR 2 2.3" up front and a 2.3 Bontrager XR3 on the back. This particular version of the XR3 has similar tread pattern to the DHR, just shorter knobs. Pretty much anything with a DHF/DHR similar pattern will be decent IMO around here for the back. The gravel will chew up anything anyway.

I've considered the 2.5 DHF up front as that's what I used to run on my 26er, but I've held off so far. The DHR is a very capable tire and I have another to use up in back stock....

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
I really wished the Conti TK 29x2.4 TR/black chili had made it across the pond. The cheaper 'folding' ones just is not the same when compared to the nicer ones on me 26 wheels. A DHF/TK black chili, 2.5/2.4 woulda been schveeeeet!

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts