Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the 29er scene....Looking for a 29er UST tire combo for expedition length adventure races in the midwest....A mix of all terrains and more often than not kinda wet!! I've ran Hutchison Pythons for years with good success but they are not available in 29...They had great rolling resistance and good enough traction for me..

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Do you have 29" UST rims?
I think I know the answer to this question. . . . .
What rims do you have?

Are you going to use sealant?

Specialized makes their '2-Bliss' models and there are a few other 29" tires designed for tubeless applications, but not much in true 29" UST tires. Kind of like the wild wild west out there in 29er land in that regard.

Many just convert regular tires/rims using various methods to prepare their rims if they don't have Stans rims.

Once we know what rims you're using and if you'll be using sealant, it will be easier to give a tried and true recommendation.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just bought Stans Arch 29er wheels W/King hubs....Planning on going Full UST but I'm not opposed to using UST ready tires or whatever else is reliable......"Generally" most of the riding will be done on Fire Roads but I still want enough traction to make due on gnarly trails....That's why the Pythons were always great for me.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Hutchinson 29er UST Python:

http://bike29.com/Hutchinson-Python

Geax also makes a Saguaro UST and Barro UST in 29"

Not much else that I know of in true UST for 29ers.

But several others make their own tubeless ready tires that go by whatever tradename they want to apply.

Stans website has a list of compatible 29" tires and the list has just one word: "all"

http://www.notubes.com/RecommendedTires.aspx

"UST" is owned by Mavic and their CrossMax 29er wheelset is the only 29" UST wheelset/rim that I know of.

I run Flow rims and use just about any tire I want to, and use a homebrew sealant

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh....I looked at hutchinson's site last night and did not see the Python tubeless ready version....The UST version is in 26 only.....Awesome!! Some of the WTB tires look alot like the Pythons so I should be good to go either way!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone used the Pythons and the WTB Wolverine or Exiwolf and have some good advice on which one is the better all-arounder?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Maxxis CrossMark 29x2.1 UST & Ardent 29x2.25 UST are now available.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I really liked the Wolverine (as far as I know the don't make a UST 29" Wolverine, only a 26", so I used a 'regular' 29" Wolverine) as a front tire here in SoCal. Never tried it as a rear tire. Ran great tubeless on a Flow rim.

I briefly tied an Exiwolf as a rear tire and it was OK, nothing spectacular IME, but nothing really negative. The center knobs are arranged to be somewhat semi-solid around the center of the tread which makes for fairly low rolling resistance, but not always excellent climbing and braking traction. It works well enough though.

There are a lot of 29" tires I have not tried, but I did like the Kenda Karma for low rolling resistance with decent enough traction and were durable for me for the life of the tire. I like the Wolverine better than the Karma as a front tire. JMHO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts