Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first say, the wife is going to freaking kill me if she finds out I'm thinking about another bike at this point...
I've been thinking about SLOWLY building a 29er. As I get smarter I’m sure I’ll have fewer questions about it but for now...
I don't want a single speed ride since I use gears quite a bit. I was thinking about a single chain ring though with a 9 speed cassette. My thinking is since I already use my high and low rings so little now, a 9 speed cassette will give me more than enough options while cutting the moving (and maybe unneeded) parts down.
I'm thinking about an Explosif frame since I really want to use steel for this application. Thoughts, ideas, comments, suggestions...

·
I live to bike
2,394 Posts
Sounds good. Just have to wait 'til the right moment to let your wife know you'd like to build a new bike--that timing is going to have to be something you figure out on your own, though. I went through the same dilemma a year ago, and got the timing right :thumbsup: Of course, you can always make it a little easier to smooth over by selling one out of your current stable. (Well, she'll probably like that option, though I'm sure you'd prefer to keep 'em all :cool: )

1x9 is a good choice for a fairly light hardtail 29er for most conditions. I haven't run a big ring in years, always use a bashguard. Just use an 11-34t cassette, and you'll be golden. Saves a little weight and keeps things simple. The Kona is a good choice, or a Surly is always an excellent way to go; many options to choose from. Highly recommend a set of Stan's rims and going tubeless.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts