Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum(1st post)single speeding,fully rigid and 29ers. I bought a used Kona unit 29er fully rigid single speed off Ebay. I rode it exactly 4 times and the frame broke.It started on the down tube right beyond the welds.when I tried to soft pedal it out of the woods it broke totally in half I ride aggresively on the trails but no crazy jumps or anything like that. I am 5'10" and 175 lbs. My questions are as follows
1. Does anyone have experiece dealing with Kona?
2. Is this normal for fully rigid or Kona?
3. Can anyone recommend a solid 29er that I can run fully rigid without breaking it?( I am gun shy at this point)Thanks in advance I read the forum all the time but have never posted. I have contacted Kona but have not heard back from then.You can bet if that do not help me out there will be a scathing review with one flamming chili.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Can you somehow work this out via ebay and seller. I know buyer beware on there. Maybe Kona has a crash replacement policy for frames?

Check out On-One bikes. Steel ss frames, that can take a beating and are at an excellent price point.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you can contact the seller and find out where he got it from or get the
warranty info from him, Kona has been good about replacing the broken Units.
I broke my green Unit and my LBS had them ship me a brand new one.
Kona changed the tubing shape and so far I've had no problems aside from
getting used to the purple color frame(it's not that bad) but the newest version
is orange.

·
Is that Bill rated?
440 Posts
Everything breaks

You don't give us a lot of info about the frame, what year was it, what condition was it in, any scratches, any dents. It is fairly rare for a bike to fail without something abusive being done to it so I would suspect that its history with the previous owner may have involved some crashes or aggressive use.
Kona is really good about warranty, but you are not the original owner so you may be out of luck there. It doesn't hurt to contact them as they may offer you a crash replacement price on a new frame.
There are plenty of good frames out there, most people will have an opinion that frame X is the best that stretches about as far as the frame they are currently riding, but you will also likely find that other people have had X frame and broken it. This is normal, everything breaks. For me I am always more interested in how frames have broken, sheared headtubes give me the willies whereas broken BB joints and dropouts seem a little less appalling. Ultimately the best failures are bends rather than cracks, you are less likely to need a straw for eating that way.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sucks your frame snapped man but I'd hesitate to blast Kona. Seems to me the problem lies with the dude who sold you the bike on ebay- maybe he knew it was cracked and sold it without mentioning it.

And if Kona decides NOT to warranty you can hardly fault them. You aren't the original buyer, and most warranties (not sure about Kona) only cover the original owner for a fixed period of time. I hate to say it but this is why we should all buy from the LBS.

Of course, I bought my On-One Inbred from a guy who works at the LBS so I have no warranty either-LOL.

Good luck,
J

·
Registered
418 Posts
Who knows if the seller knew or not if it were cracked already. If he did
then he could have probably gotten a new one and sold it instead for more
money in his pocket for whatever he was selling the first one for.

No matter, I would still contact him and if that doesnt' pan out contact Kona.
You never know.... it could work out or mabye not, but it's definately worth a shot
I'd say and whatever happens good luck!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
If it was the 2006 green frame, there where prone to break at the down tube gusset. I would try to contact the ebay seller, and see if he is the original owner, and have him warranty it for you.

In 2007, they change the tubing and gusset to stop them from braking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kona more info

To respond to some earlier questions the Kona is the green one and broke right where Oliver described. I am not down on Kona per say but the bike looked to be in great shape when I received it and appeared to be well taken care of by the pervious rider. I know I have ridden my Litespeed Obed that I have owned since 96 ALOT harder then I was riding my Kona and it (the Litespeed frame ) has never failed me. The Kona when I got it looked really good with only a few marks from cables and a couple of paint chips. I have not heard back from Kona. Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
just go to a Kona dealer and tell them that you wantto warranty the frame. They should take do that without issue. Kona will send a new frame. Keep the sliders, because they wont send new ones. You might wanna upgrade the sliders while you're at it. Get the ones with a tugnut, otherwise you'll have chain tension issues.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Bruinxc said:
3. Can anyone recommend a solid 29er that I can run fully rigid without breaking it?( I am gun shy at this point)Thanks in advance I read the forum all the time but have never posted. I have contacted Kona but have not heard back from then.You can bet if that do not help me out there will be a scathing review with one flamming chili.
Disclaimer: I didn't read any of the other posts so I don't know what kind of advice you've already gotten. Sorry if I repeat anything.

I'd be a little gunshy of even a brand new frame (if Kona gave you another one) if mine broke after that long. To be fair it PROBABLY won't happen again. Even so, I'd be looking for a new frame. I'm pretty new to the whole rigid, SS, and 29er thing but I got a Vassago Jabberwocky and just looking at the frame from a structural standpoint, it's superb. The welds are clean and the bike feels incredibly stiff and well put-together. It's lightweight, steel, and a great ride. I've been riding it as hard as, if not harder than, my old Dakar and haven't had any problems. The frame is also pretty inexpensive at $430 brand spankin' new, and wouldn't break the bank if you decided to change. Plus the wet-cat geometry (see www.vassagocycles.com) really works. This thing's good at everything.

Just my opinion, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.