Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my 29er SnoCat wheelset from Wildfire Designs Bicycles of Alaska and they look great. The 29er 2.35 Big Apples look about 1/4 " taller than the 26x4.0's. I plan on putting them on in March since I think we are going to get snow in February and I want to try the 26x4.0's. Ever since I received my Pugsley we had record high temps at least three times. Here are some photos I just took.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I can't believe you're now trying out your new wheels NOW!
I rode my Ba's in a thin dump of fresh snow, and it flew! No warning when the grip lets go, but fun!

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Seriously, why will Schwalbe not just make some knobbies with that 2.35 BA casting? It would be perfect!

Sheesh,

LP

Nice Pugs project you have there...looks like fun!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
They "don't have interest in making any more 28" tires at this time" (official statement when I asked how many to order to have them make something useful already).

I still have to further trim rubber off one of those, stretch on a light 2.8" casing and see what happens.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I regard the Bontrager XR 2.25" Front larger than the Exi. MikeC won a snow race on the XR's, I seem to remember. My set did ride very nice over a 5" fresh dump a year ago.
Exi's though, are more durable, obviously.

Ride the bike!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike rides great with 20psi in the 29er 2.35 Big Apples with the SnoCat offset wheelset by Wildfire Designs Bicycles. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Joe1946 said:
Just received my 29er SnoCat wheelset from Wildfire Designs Bicycles of Alaska and they look great. The 29er 2.35 Big Apples look about 1/4 " taller than the 26x4.0's. I plan on putting them on in March since I think we are going to get snow in February and I want to try the 26x4.0's. Ever since I received my Pugsley we had record high temps at least three times. Here are some photos I just took.

Looks good!!!

Do you think this rim, with big apples, (reg dish) will fit in a surly KM??

& did you get the RIM only or as a whole wheel set??

& you got the rim from 'Wildfire Designs Bicycles' is that right?? do you think they sell rims only??

thanks

Ktronik

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 29er SnoCats with 2.35 Big Apples are even taller than the 26x4.0's that are standard on the Pugsley so I think it would be a tight fit on a KM. I had Wildfire Cycles make the Pugsley offset wheelset using the 29er SnoCat rims. They said it was the last 29er's but that was Jan 2006 so you should email them to see if they are in stock.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Of course a 29" tire fits the KM! It's not like a 26x4.0 is hugely tall or anything.

I commute a KM with BA's every day, and wider rims don't make a tire taller in most cases? Some extra width the KM can handle.

So, have you tried the Weirwolf tires on those wheels yet?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts