Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at a small frame size 29er, its not hard to see that it looks quite different from the other sizes of the same model. There are some issues like toe overlap, cable routing on the TT and other problems or hang ups that we smaller dudes/dudettes have to face with the giant wheels.

So post your pics, questions, and lets discuss the 29er Small Frame of every model out there :thumbsup:

POST THEM PICS

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I can only speak for the 29ers I have.

On-One Scandal -- More slack head angle (71 vs 72 on a med) to make up for possible toe overlap. (I went with a small).

Salsa Big Mama -- Top of TT cable routing (vs. bottom of TT med) and NO water bottle mounts. (I went with a medium).

·
Registered
222 Posts
My gf just got her first 29er. It's a small Specialized Stumpjumper SS and she really likes it so far. The biggest difference she comments on, is the extra power it takes to turn big wheels in the steeps but IMO, the bike is very well designed for a size small 29er. The 71° HT angle is only a 1/2 degree off the larger sizes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
D1PHAM said:
I can only speak for the 29ers I have.

On-One Scandal -- More slack head angle (71 vs 72 on a med) to make up for possible toe overlap. (I went with a small).

Salsa Big Mama -- Top of TT cable routing (vs. bottom of TT med) and NO water bottle mounts. (I went with a medium).
So what height are you? How is did the Salsa med feel since a small I guess would have fitted better for you if not for the cr & wb.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
small size Niner Air 9... absolutely no issues... best fitting bike I've owned to far. Niner nailed the geometry spot on. They tweak some angles (HT and ST angles) to avoid things like toe overlap. Also keep the wheelbase longer. HT angle 71deg. ST angle is at 73deg. Larger sizes - per Niner website - have 72deg HTA.

https://ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&taxid=97

I'm 5'6", 29.5" inseam... longish torso, shortish arms.

Here's my ride... I also run a 100mm fork. And I run a 100mm stem. ETT is 23.1". Bike fits like a glove!

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
D1PHAM said:
I went with a Small - no toe overlap problems with size 43 shoes, 175mm cranks, and a 100mm Reba. I wish I lived closer to someone with a Medium so we could trade and compare rides. My Spot is a Medium and I never feel comfortable on it.

·
jeny jo
296 Posts
15" voodoo zaka

i'm 5' 7".
15" zaka. "small" cockpit for me, but totally adjustable with fit, and i like the position it puts me in.

no toe overlap. but i do have tiny feet.

From 06.02.10

head tube seems steeper than the last bike, which was a 16" voodo aizan. seat tube is steeper. what all this means ... ??? ;-) she's just fun to ride. specs for this bike here: https://www.voodoocycles.net/zaka.htm

she is very comfortable, and seems to fit really well. this bike feels a bit more 'twitchy' on the front end than the 16" aizan, but not sure if that is actually the case;-). just something to adjust to.

i have a friend who is 5' tiny who rides the same bike and seems to just love it.

jj

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Cliff 29R Pro - Small frame (17") although it seems more like a Medium when compared to the other 29ers I've seen. I'm 5'8" and standover is a little tight, but that's OK. No toe overlap; I've got a good 2" between my toes and the front tire. The seat height is definitely lower on this bike than on my Fisher 26er HT, which is great for descents but strangely it also climbs better. I don't understand it, but I dig it. I'm currently running the Tora Solo Air fork @ 100mm and 160psi. That makes for a pretty plush ride coupled with 30psi in the tires.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
waspirate said:
So what height are you? How is did the Salsa med feel since a small I guess would have fitted better for you if not for the cr & wb.
I'm 5'6 w/o shoes but I have a 31" inseam and a 1" ape factor (long arms). I went with the medium based on ETT measurements. The medium BM was closer to my On-One than the small and going with the medium meant I wouldn't have to buy a new stem.

·
Registered
599 Posts
On a Karate Monkey...

I am on a Small Karate Monkey and a Medium Specialized S-Works 29er. I am 5'7" and it fits very well. I have been riding for about 10 years so I am particular about the fit on my bikes. I have ridden everything from a short 21.5"ETT 26" bike, to a 23.75"ETT 29er. The 21.5" is way too short. In the future a 22.5" is probably the shortest I will go. The 23.75" is dependent on the geometry of the bike. If it features a slack HTA with that top tube length (a la GF Superfly) it is just fine. On the other hand if it features a steep HTA with that ETT it feels too stretched and I don't like the weight distribution.

The KM feels great. The 71/73 HTA/STA is perfect. I love the balance of the bike. It matches my Specialized which I really appreciate even though the Specialized has a slightly longer ETT. The KM is setup SS currently. It is kind of heavy, but I have a pretty bomb proof build on it currently. I wouldn't trade it for much else. It is nice to have something simple and bomber to compliment the lightweight race machine. Only thing it needs now is some couplers for travel and it would be perfect. Currently in Brazil and dying to ride some of the local trails on a SS. The locals would think you were out of your mind.

Late edit: Toe overlap is also a non-issue with the current setup. I have 170mm cranks on currently which I am going to change to 175mm when in the SS configuration.

Attachments

·
menace to myself & others
370 Posts
I'm 5'5" and ride a 17" Marin Pine Mountain. I have short legs and a long torso (29" and change inseam), and I have very little standover, but other than that the bike fits pretty well (the front end's a little high, but not too bad)

·
Registered
106 Posts
here is my "small" Peace 9r multi , I'm about 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam, bit longish arms. love the way the bike fits and rides. steel is real! :D I have a reba SL 29 with the U-turn option (guess that means from 80-115mm of on the fly travel adjustment on the top of the left leg) we'll see what that does to the handling.

·
COMBO - President
296 Posts
I have a small Niner RIP and a JET, not fit issues at all, the best fitting bikes I have ever owned. No toe overlap issues. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Small 29 Issues

I'm 5'6', soaking wet.

I bought the top Spec 29 with sliding drops last year, (not S-Works). After fighting the howler monkey rear brake issue, Spec gave me the Black and Tan version. The old frame was a 17 and the new one is 17.5. The 17 only had one bottle cage mount, although I think there was room for two. The 17.5 has two mounts. This is an issue for me, I like longer rides. I clamped on a second cage mount in front of the BB, and now I use that system for a third bottle on the 17.5.

I have the F90 fork, no toe problems. And all that I have noticied about the ride is seeing more front tire in front the bar. They must have gotten something right about the handling, it's great at speed and tight twisties.

·
COMBO - President
296 Posts
C Cow said:
I'm 5'6', soaking wet.

I bought the top Spec 29 with sliding drops last year, (not S-Works). After fighting the howler monkey rear brake issue, Spec gave me the Black and Tan version. The old frame was a 17 and the new one is 17.5. The 17 only had one bottle cage mount, although I think there was room for two. The 17.5 has two mounts. This is an issue for me, I like longer rides. I clamped on a second cage mount in front of the BB, and now I use that system for a third bottle on the 17.5.

I have the F90 fork, no toe problems. And all that I have noticied about the ride is seeing more front tire in front the bar. They must have gotten something right about the handling, it's great at speed and tight twisties.
17.5 is definitely not a small frame size, it may fit you fine but it is not considered small. I am 5'6" rode several Specialized frames and they were e 15.5 inch frames. I rode a Rocky 16.5 and that was considered a medium. Now ride Niner small frames.

·
SoCal mtbr
332 Posts
I'm 5'5" with a 28.5 in inseam and ride a Small RIP 9. I demo'd a med RIP 9 and thought it wasn't too much of an issue but the small did feel better. The med didn't have much seat tube showing at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm Tall!

FASTK said:
17.5 is definitely not a small frame size, it may fit you fine but it is not considered small. I am 5'6" rode several Specialized frames and they were e 15.5 inch frames. I rode a Rocky 16.5 and that was considered a medium. Now ride Niner small frames.
I guess I'm tall for 5'6"? I've always ridden mtbs in the 16.5 range, but the 17" in the 29er was great. I've never considered a 15.5 in anything. I ride 52 cx and road.

I could be called the worlds shortest giant, or worlds tallest midget.

Moo

1 - 20 of 98 Posts