Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GF Marlin (size large) and am planning on getting a 29er this fall. I'm 6', 33" pants inseam and my current bike fits great. I'll probably stick with a large for my 29er but do some people like 29ers that are a smaller or larger size than their 26ers?

I also noticed that the effective top tubes on 29ers tend to be shorter than the 26ers. Is there a different inseam to ett ratio for 29ers?

Also, anyone know when the '09 GF models will be released?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I still shop for my frame sizes based primarily on ETT, which as put me on anything from a 17.5" to a 21" frame.

26" vs. 29" hasn't really come into play, though some 29"er riders have commented that they like the handling of a shorter stem compared to what they were riding on 26" bikes.

That's a tough one for me to judge, as it seems I've been migrating to shorter stems with each new bike. On the 29"ers I ride, I'm running 90mm to 105mm -- which I'm sure some 26" riders perfer, as well.

Anyhow, my recommendation is to back away from the generic "Medium / Large" sizing convention, and for that matter, from seat tube length sizing.

Instead, shop primarily by ETT, factor in seat tube angles, and make sure the frame you're looking at will provide an amount of standover clearance that you're comfortable with.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
At 6', you're just a Large. Have never seen a 6' rider fit will on an XL, nor on an M. Consider yourself happy to be pretty much in the middle of the L range.
ETT, Seat tube angle and stem length still need to line up of course.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
This about covers it.

Speedub.Nate said:
shop primarily by ETT, factor in seat tube angles, and make sure the frame you're looking at will provide an amount of standover clearance that you're comfortable with.
This about covers it. Well said Nate.:thumbsup:
FYI - I'm 6'2' and riding a medium Mamasita and Titus RX 29 these days. Good luck with your search.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.