Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 29er singlespeed with some specific features that I'm pretty adamant about. I can't seem to find a very comprehensive list of bikes on MTBR, so I was hoping you all might chime in with the names of some bikes that fit this description:

29er
Singlespeed specific (no der hanger or cable braze-ons)
Steel frame
Rigid fork
NO eccentric BB

Anyhing out there like this other than the Monocog?

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
If you were a little flexible you could get what you seek in a 26" Surley or Bianchi. Or a Raleigh XXIX in a 29er but it fouls with the EBB.

edit: a Karate Monkey would do it in a 29er if you hacksaw off the deraileur hanger

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
you could talk to the guys at Gunnar. Their 29ers roll nicely and they seem easy to work with. Have them do horizontal drop outs instead of the Paragon machine dropouts.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely not looking for custom - I just don't ride offroad enough anymore to justify it. The Raleigh looks cool because the frame isn't built to accommodate suspension. But I'm not at all sold on the EBB. I'll look into the On-One and Gunnar. Thanks.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
I think most or all of these are EBBless:

Jamis Exile 29
Kona Unit 2-9. Purple, but I think they had a green 2006.
Redline also offers an upgrade of the Monocog called the Monocog Flight.
KHS Solo-One
Zion 737 (can be had either way). $249 frame @ jenson
Soma Juice - various setups possible.
Voodoo Dambala - more expensive, but 853 steel.

The first 4 should be able to be purchased fully built, off the shelf for $1000 or less.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ryder1 said:
I think most or all of these are EBBless:

Jamis Exile 29
Kona Unit 2-9. Purple, but I think they had a green 2006.
Redline also offers an upgrade of the Monocog called the Monocog Flight.
KHS Solo-One
Zion 737 (can be had either way). $249 frame @ jenson
Soma Juice - various setups possible.
Voodoo Dambala - more expensive, but 853 steel.

The first 4 should be able to be purchased fully built, off the shelf for $1000 or less.
Thank you, Ryder, for providing exactly what I was looking for!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Do you want sliding drops or regular horizontals?

If sliding dropouts why do you prefer them over an EBB?

If you're going for pure simplicity and a rim brake on the rear then horizontals would be good, but I think the Monocog is the only stock option with no cable braze ons.

Sam

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The KHS Solo One SE is exactly what I want. The Jamis Exile is in second place, only because of the brakes. I prefer rim brakes, so the KHS will probably be the bike. I dislike the whole EBB concept: the design, the execution, the complexity, and that it's trying to fix a "problem" that's can be solved quite simply by rear-entry track ends, or (less elegantly and more problematically) by sliding dropouts. I'm coming to the realization that I'll probably have disc brake mounts and braze-ons no matter what, since it's been determined by "the industry" that disc brakes are right for everyone (even though they aren't).

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
FODM said:
Thank you, Ryder, for providing exactly what I was looking for!! :thumbsup:
Scratch Kona for having cable stops.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
you could run ANY frame that has a vertical dropout as a single speed with the White Ind. ENO hub on the rear. This works extremely well with V Brakes. That's how I have my Gunnar set up currently. It uses a fun bolt instead of a QR for the rear axle.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
That's funny, I want the same type of bike, but no disc brakes for me, and I wouldn't mind rack and fender braze ons. I have a MC 29er, was vaguely thinking about a Waltworks at some point in the future. I'll have to check out the KHS, though.

Eric

·
Registered
952 Posts
Seriously, you can't go wrong with the Redline MC 29er. Excellent handling bike in stock form. Components are decent, aside from the upper bearing race/adjustment cone on the headset. Everything you need/desire for less than $500.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ihatemybike said:
Seriously, you can't go wrong with the Redline MC 29er. Excellent handling bike in stock form. Components are decent, aside from the upper bearing race/adjustment cone on the headset. Everything you need/desire for less than $500.
I just wish it wasn't such a pig. Otherwise, it'd be at the top of my list.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
29" SS choices

I know you say you don't ride enough to justify custom, but if that's the case maybe you can't justify being so fussy about a pure look either. I'd still consider custom. Yes it costs more, but yout get what you pay for -- that is, exactly what you want. I don't regret my custom Vulture for a second. FWIW, my Vulture has both a derailer hanger and an EBB, and I have to say the set-screw EBB is about the simplest, hassle-free tensioning system imaginable. If you are willing to get past your aversion to EBBs, you might want to consider the GT Peace. Although it has an EBB, it is completely free of both derailer hangers and disc tabs! Worth a look.

All that said, here are the the bikes I know of that meet your criteria: steel, SS-able, with no derailer hanger and no EBB
- Gunnar Ruffian 29, with slider option instead of EBB. $1000 frame.
- Jamis Exile. Includes derailer hanger, but it's removable.
- KHS Solo One SE. Sliders. $769 complete bike.
- RL Monocog. Track fork ends. $500 complete bike, or $250 frameset.
- RL Monocog Flight. Sliders. Hanger is available but not mandatory. $900 complete bike, or $550 frameset.
- Vicious Monolith. Track fork ends. $1300 frame.

For what it's worth, there are a couple of purist choices in aluminum as well
- Bianchi Rita. Track fork ends. $1400 complete bike.
- Misfit Psycles DiSSent. Sliders. Hanger is available but not mandatory.

Your options pretty much double if you're willing to put up with a derailer hanger. As already mentioned you can still get the look you want if you're handy with a hacksaw, file and touch-up paint. In steel:
- Ionic Steelhead (with slider option). $900 frame.
- Kona Unit/Explosif. Sliders. $500 frame.
- On-One Inbred. Proprietary sliders. $450 frame.
- Quiring Q-Ball. Proprietary sliders. $430 frame, $530 frameset.
- Soma Juice. Track fork ends. $400 frame.
- Surly Karate Monkey. Track fork ends. $400 frameset.
- VooDoo Dambala. Sliders. $500 frame.

In aluminum:
- Kona Kula 2-9. Sliders. $650 (?) frame.
- VooDoo Aizan. Sliders. $650 frame.

EBB SS bikes (steel):
- Badger Dorothy (EBB available). May include a derailer hanger. $1250 frame plus EBB upcharge.
- Gary Fisher Ferrous. Includes hanger. $2000 complete bike (including, oddly, gears).
- GT Peace. Has no hanger, and meets your no-disc criteria too! $550 complete bike.
- Haro Mary SS. No hanger. $400 frameset.
- Niner SIR 9. Includes hanger. $750 frame.
- Raleigh XXIX+SS. Hanger is available but not mandatory. $750 complete bike.
- Salsa El Mariachi. Includes hanger. $880 frameset.
- Zion 737 EBB. No hanger. $249 frame(set?).

EBB SS bikes (aluminum):
- Flyte Celsius 9. Includes derailer hanger. $400 frame.
- Gary Fisher Rig. No hanger. $1000 complete bike.
- Niner One 9. No hanger. $750 frame.
- Van Dessel Ramble Tamble. No hanger. $600 frame, $1150 complete bike.
- Ventana El Comandante. No hanger. $900 frame.

Hope that helps. I may be wrong about the derailer hanger status of some of these bikes, and some prices might be out of date, so corrections are welcomed [edit: thanks, nogearshere]. I've categorized all the SS-able hardtails I know of, not only in case you decide to compromise somewhere, but also for others who may be reading this thread and have similar but not identical needs.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
GlowBoy said:
All that said, here are the the bikes I know of that meet your criteria: steel, SS-able, with no derailer hanger and no EBB
- Misfit Psycles DiSSent. Not sure, but I think it has track fork ends.
point of clarification:
the dissent is 6061 aluminum and uses a slider for chain tension. hanger is optional and only 1 cable guide under tt for rear brake.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.