Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Gary Fisher Ferrous steel 29er frame full rigid ride. Per my orthopoedic doctor, I need to switchout the Niner rigid fork to a suspension fork.

I have gone without a suspension fork for so long, I don't know what to get.

Price range- let's say somewhere in the $300-$400 range +/-. I love how light my bike setup is now, and know that I will have to give up some with a new suspension fork.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
When I was running a suspension fork on my SS, I really liked Fox's Terralogic. As you know, on any climbs, you're out of the saddle cranking on the bars. The Terralogic fork minimized the bobbing (automatically) and it was really a quick and smooth transition from lock to unlock. If I were to run suspension again, it would be what I would go with.

Weight wise, I don't know of any forks that are as light as the Niner Carbon. Isn't the carbon lefty the lightest?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
On the 3 bikes I have with suspension, I have the Reba and have been very happy with it. The only complaint I have is that even with the lock, it's not completely locked.
My SS is rigid and I haven't converted to suspension on that because I'm constantly standing and hammering and concerned the suspension would bug me...

·
Registered
424 Posts
The Manitou Tower Pro is fairly light and can be found brand new for under $400. I think I paid $375 for mine, and I've seen them as low as $325 depending on options.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Manitou Tower Pro is fairly light and can be found brand new for under $400. I think I paid $375 for mine, and I've seen them as low as $325 depending on options.
I just bought one from pricepoint.com for $250. New, but a 2012 model. I dont think much has changed in newer models. I'd give a ride recommendation, but it just arrived today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've run a Reba RLT for a period of time on my SS. When locked out, it did still have some travel. But on rough climbs, that is still a positive thing.

I would only suggest to get a fork that you can upgrade with a bar lever for lockout. This make the switch easy.

·
SS in CO
613 Posts
I just bought one from pricepoint.com for $250. New, but a 2012 model. I dont think much has changed in newer models. I'd give a ride recommendation, but it just arrived today.
I'd suggest the Tower as well, but my PricePoint order didn't go through because of all the other jerks who bought them at the same time I did. :p

I'm still looking at the tower, but also the slide. a friend of mine has been riding his slide for 2 years now and still loves it. says he'd go with the 15mm TA instead of the 9QR for more stiffness though. they're on ebay for around $280

J.

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
Bought a Manitou Tower Pro from CRC for $320 and it rips. No complaints at all. Quite light, runs smooth and eats up med-large bumps well smoothly. If anything it doesn't knock out tiniest little hits but if you've been running rigid like I was you are cool with that feel anyways, and I run mine quite solid so that might be my issue. Great fork and not just for the $$$, it really is a great fork.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts