Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may sound crazy but I was thinking about trying it out. I recently build a Salsa El Mariachi and enjoy every second of it. Last night, I dropped it off at a bike shop to have the recently installed R3BA fork checked for leaks and end up taking my Surly 1x1 out.

At first, the tire size appeard to be alot smaller, even smaller than 26" comparing them to the huge 29er wheelset on the Salsa.

Then, fun began riding the Surly going through turns faster with it, clearing small / large obsticles easier and basically more in charge riding the Surly over the Salsa.

I think 29 isn't there for me as I enjoy the smaller size. I don't know, maybe I haven't ridden the 29er long enough to get the hang of it, but I am going to do the tire swap for sure when I get it back from the shop and try it out.

Has anyone here done that? and what was your experience like if you did. Please share you thoughts with me and others curious like myself.

:thumbsup:

541 Posts
I dont know what the difference is. I have always been a Surly guy but untill I got the Salsa never a mountain biker.

I am thinking of adding the 1x1 to m fleet next year.
Heck, never too many right?

Does one man need four Sulrys though?

· Registered
449 Posts
one downside is that you would lose ground clearance.

maybe try a 650b or 26 just in the rear if you just have to keep the frame....

i'm all for experimentation/trying something different out, so haha, let the flames begin! someone's gonna get their knickers in a twist over this whole thread for sure!

· Registered
10,051 Posts
Putting 26" wheels on your 29er isn't going to give you any valid comparison if that's what you're asking. You've going to have a BB height probably less than 10.5" (practically get peddle strikes just leaning in a turn), long chainstays for a 26" wheel, and different steering geometry. Doing the wheel swap won't tell you if you like either one better, spending more time on other bikes actually designed for the proper wheel size will

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with you. I haven't given myself enough time on the 29er and probably will get as comfortable with it as the Surly 1x1 over time.

And you are right about the bb height for sure. Thanks.

boomn said:
Putting 26" wheels on your 29er isn't going to give you any valid comparison if that's what you're asking. You've going to have a BB height probably less than 10.5" (practically get peddle strikes just leaning in a turn), long chainstays for a 26" wheel, and different steering geometry. Doing the wheel swap won't tell you if you like either one better, spending more time on other bikes actually designed for the proper wheel size will

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After years of having full suspension, I thought it would be crazy to have a rigid bike, but I was all smile from day one to now ( almost 2 years ) on the 1x1 ( now running it as hardtail ), but you will be pleased with the result.

And this is a great time to buy as I saw a complete frame and fork for less than $275.

A from Il said:
I dont know what the difference is. I have always been a Surly guy but untill I got the Salsa never a mountain biker.

I am thinking of adding the 1x1 to m fleet next year.
Heck, never too many right?

Does one man need four Sulrys though?

· Registered
7,505 Posts
Vlad said:
Yep, that's my experience with 29ers--stable but less fun overall.
I think that applies mainly to the early 29ers.

Bikes like the Singular and the Scandal are pretty nippy. Certainly better than my 1x1.

· Bedwards Of The West
5,327 Posts
I have a 'cross bike as a commuter. When I built it, before I could afford my beefy 36 spoke disc-ready 29er wheels, I threw a pair of 26" mtb wheels on it and rode it that way for a few months. I thought it would really jack up the geometry, but the actual ride wasn't bad at all. The BB height was rediculously low though. I couldn't pedal through a turn. I couldn't pedal over a small speed bump. I couldn't pedal at the top of an uphill driveway. I sort of got used to it out of necessity, but it was definitely NOT ideal.

Also, it didn't feel more nimble or quicker or anything like that. Wheelbase is basically the same. You're not changing dropout length or headtube angle. If anything, the only difference is a lower center of gravity, which on a MTB could be a disadvantage when you're trying to bunnyhop over obstacles and flick through turns.

Based on my experience, you won't like it. You'll still be on a 29er...it will just look funny and be impossible to pedal through a turn.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well said my freind. I was thinking about the same issues all day yesterday.

CommuterBoy said:
I have a 'cross bike as a commuter. When I built it, before I could afford my beefy 36 spoke disc-ready 29er wheels, I threw a pair of 26" mtb wheels on it and rode it that way for a few months. I thought it would really jack up the geometry, but the actual ride wasn't bad at all. The BB height was rediculously low though. I couldn't pedal through a turn. I couldn't pedal over a small speed bump. I couldn't pedal at the top of an uphill driveway. I sort of got used to it out of necessity, but it was definitely NOT ideal.

Also, it didn't feel more nimble or quicker or anything like that. Wheelbase is basically the same. You're not changing dropout length or headtube angle. If anything, the only difference is a lower center of gravity, which on a MTB could be a disadvantage when you're trying to bunnyhop over obstacles and flick through turns.

Based on my experience, you won't like it. You'll still be on a 29er...it will just look funny and be impossible to pedal through a turn.

· Registered
2,470 Posts
I've got 700x40's on my surly 1x1, tons of room (have the axle all the way forward)
only noticed the bb being higher the first couple days, i love it!!
kind of the difference between a track bike and a roadie, higher bb lets me keep pedalling through the corners a bit longer and deeper into the corners than on 26's with skinnies.
the larger wheels DO prefer to stay in their groove so not terribly good for mid-corner changes but they lay over into the corners just fine.

bear in mind: a 700x 40 is preeeetty damn close to a 26x2.6" tire.
so really, if you're used to fat tires on the mtb, the overall height won't really be that different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.