Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for recommendations for a true 29” x 1.9-2.3” tire for use on a hard tail XC MTB.

Trails would be paved and crushed limestone. No single track or the likes.

Not interested in cyclocross tires, as those look silly on a MTB.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Check out the Bontrager XR1 and XR2 tires. They roll fast and are long wearing. Using a 29x3" XR2 I can get close to 2,000 miles of mixed pavement, gravel and dirt riding before needing a replacement. In general look for tires that have lots of smaller lugs (versus fewer larger lugs).

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talking to Trek/Bontrager they recommend XR0.

I was considering the Schwable g-one all around as well.

I currently have some older generations XR1, so was looking for something more suitable for paved trails.

XR2 seems too much of a dedicated dirt tire. But, I guess it wears well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,805 Posts
If you are interested in slicks with tubeless capabilities the Schwable G-One comes in a bunch of larger sizes. Pricey but nice ride. The Panaracer gravelking family has a few tread patterns including a very supple nice file tread slick suitable to crushed gravel pathways. The Hutchinson Override has nice toothed tread but rolls nicely.

Check out bike tires direct for a good assortment of treads and types: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/search/gravel-tires

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.