Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have just today received my first 29er frame!
Now I need some rims for it. I have been looking a ZTR 355's as I have them on my 26er and they have been great for the last 2 years.
However, they are a bit expensive and wondered if anyone had tried the Sunn EQ23 or 25 rims as they seem to be reasonable weight and price. I would be looking to run tubeless as well so do these rims work or should I just bite the bullet and get the 355's?!

Any help much appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,808 Posts
My experince woth the Suns was not positive. Spokes came lose... they would not stay true....

I bought Stans Arch and I'm dancing like Snoopy! I weigh 195 and aside from an initial truing of the rear after about 50 miles these are bulletproof.. and I am not gentle on them. I ride SW utah and the bike gets used 100+ miles a week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
STT GUY said:
My experince woth the Suns was not positive. Spokes came lose... they would not stay true....

I bought Stans Arch and I'm dancing like Snoopy! I weigh 195 and aside from an initial truing of the rear after about 50 miles these are bulletproof.. and I am not gentle on them. I ride SW utah and the bike gets used 100+ miles a week.
Same wheel builder and known spoke tension? The Suns may have been too light for your use, but that's very typical of undertensioned wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
scsamoyan said:
no rimstrip just tape?
Yep, just tape. I've done this on my Mavic 521s on my 26" bike and also on some cheap rims I had laying around. I did use the wide tape though.

I weigh 200lbs, and ride a rigid and have not even knocked my blunts out of true, however they were built by someone I trust and rechecked after a couple of rides. The problem with the blunts is without the eyelets the spokes will come loose after a couple rides and if they arn't retensioned the rim will bend and then they will never be the same. I'm convinced that more than anything its the wheelbuilder.

Oh and I run my 29er down around 22psi front 24psi rear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,051 Posts
STT GUY said:
My experince woth the Suns was not positive. Spokes came lose... they would not stay true....

I bought Stans Arch and I'm dancing like Snoopy! I weigh 195 and aside from an initial truing of the rear after about 50 miles these are bulletproof.. and I am not gentle on them. I ride SW utah and the bike gets used 100+ miles a week.
That's a pretty good argument for the benefits of a good rim design, since Sun actually manufactures the Stan's rim too
 
G

·
I thought that Stan's rims were made by Alex rims? No matter I am not a fan of there rims. I have used DT Swiss x470 with great success, they about the same as a set of Arches. I am now on Bontrager Mustangs, if you can get a set then go for it. The OSB eyelets and rimstrips make for a strong, light for a 195 pounder (840 front 940 rear with King hubs and Super comp spokes). They can be built lighter with different hubs easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Mr Cabletwitch said:
Yep, just tape. I've done this on my Mavic 521s on my 26" bike and also on some cheap rims I had laying around. I did use the wide tape though.

I weigh 200lbs, and ride a rigid and have not even knocked my blunts out of true, however they were built by someone I trust and rechecked after a couple of rides. The problem with the blunts is without the eyelets the spokes will come loose after a couple rides and if they arn't retensioned the rim will bend and then they will never be the same. I'm convinced that more than anything its the wheelbuilder.

Oh and I run my 29er down around 22psi front 24psi rear.
non ust tires? and what you use for stem? thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
scsamoyan said:
non ust tires? and what you use for stem? thanks
I'm using Weirwolf LTs without issue. The stem is a regular Stans stem not the ones for stans rims. I'm using UST tires on my Mavic 521s with out problem too. When mounting up the weirwolfs on my blunts I deffinatly need to use a compressor but after I get them aired up I have no problems, On the trail I'll never be able to get them back up with a pump, but thats why I carry a tube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,808 Posts
fallzboater said:
Same wheel builder and known spoke tension? The Suns may have been too light for your use, but that's very typical of undertensioned wheels.
Good question.... I just couldn't get the rear wheel to stay true and the cause was the spokes constantly loosened and it was a nightmare. I was truing the rear every 50 miles or two rides, whichever came first and that is totaly unacceptable. I had a (good) LBS true them and re-tension them more than once with the same results...

I was a novice rider and didn't really know much about line choice and such.. so I might have been a little hard on them but I wasn;t hucking off of ledges, drops etc, nothing outside of a normal service envelope for that design application.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top