Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Looking for new rims for my old 29er
What are the options out there in the 40-45 id range?
Will use 3.0 & 3.25 tires

I Found plus (29er) Bike & tires threads but not for rims

What I know (aluminum)

RF Arc 40/45
SR Duroc 50
Mulefut 50 (discontinued?)
Rabbit Hole (discontinued?)
Easton Arc 45? (Discontinued?)

And Carbon:
Tandell
LB
Nox?

Thanks for any info
Regards,

Enviado desde mi MotoG3 mediante Tapatalk

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,812 Posts
Durroc
ARC
Scraper

In that order. They're all excellent. No need to go carbon unless you just want to. LB or Nextie are well proven manufacturers.

Edit: I used Durroc 50's on my Krampus. Very happy. (previously used Rabbit holes)

I've build wheels with scrapers, the tubeless interface is excellent but it's a pinned rim and a little inconsistent at times (while building). The ARC rims I've had good luck with on my cross bike and MTB's.

So like I said, if I was building new wheels that is the order in which I would choose the rims for a plus bike.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
WTB makes a new KOM in both ‘light’ and ‘tough’ versions, and each in a bunch of widths including i40 and i45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Snow Dog
3,777 Posts
subbing b/c I am also in the hunt for new wheels for my Krampus...

·
Student of the Bike
810 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
17,061 Posts
In addition to those mentioned already, there are the Sun Ringle Duroc SD42's, and the Derby carbon 29 x i40.

The Ringle's are probably the most durable in this segment. The Derby's are what I ride on my own 29+ bike.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,516 Posts
I had some EIE Carbon wheels built up for me back in October. For me, they had the perfect goldilocks traits: i39 width (not too much not too little), weight, price. I've been riding & racing on them since beginning and have been pleased so far. Long-term....will know more later. :)

Mountain carbon rims | MTB bike | light mountain carbon bike | mountain wheels | carbon wheelset

Later,
CJB
Did you go with the AM or DH version? And what is your riding weight if you don't mind me asking?

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
Excellent! Now we have a wider view regarding options for (real) wide rims!!

Thanks for your posts!

Enviado desde mi MotoG3 mediante Tapatalk
I've been riding Nextie Crocodiles (internal 43mm / external 50mm) for almost 2 years now and they've been awesome. I don't recommend carbon initially because of the price, but I love mine.
Foolproof to lace, incredibly tough, and just a shade under 500g per rim.

·
Student of the Bike
810 Posts
Did you go with the AM or DH version? And what is your riding weight if you don't mind me asking?
I ordered the AM version and I weigh 162 lbs.

I was trying to drop some wheel weight on my Stache and hoping to get into the low 1700 gram range (without spending a ton of $$). I looked high and low for a i38-40 rim so that I could use them for both 3" tires....and a race-day 2.6" setup when needed. This setup exceeded my expectations. They arrived at 1620 grams (no tape/stems) and in 32 hole config. Ive ridden them pretty dang hard over the passed 6+ months. I recently dropped them into the truing stand and they are still spot on. We do have a ton of rocks here and I'm leary of cracking a rim. But I figured at this price, I could still lace in a new rim and still be well under most other setups.

It is worth noting that even though I do put a good many of miles on my bike(s) and also do some racing with it, I'm historically not very hard on wheels. In the past 1.5 yrs I've dropped 30 lbs of body weight and even at my heavier weight I've only trashed 1 (front) wheel in 20 yrs of riding. YMMV.

Hope this helps,
CJB

·
Live Free & Ride
1,578 Posts
I had some EIE Carbon wheels built up for me back in October. For me, they had the perfect goldilocks traits: i39 width (not too much not too little), weight, price. I've been riding & racing on them since beginning and have been pleased so far. Long-term....will know more later. :)

Mountain carbon rims | MTB bike | light mountain carbon bike | mountain wheels | carbon wheelset

Later,
CJB
Just got the AM version of these same rims for my Stache build. Picked them off Alibaba for $300 shipped too! Having them laced now at my lbs with i9 Torch rear and XTR front boost hubs and turquoise nips to match the frame. Should be plenty durable, light and setup easy tubeless.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Durroc
ARC
Scraper

In that order. They're all excellent. No need to go carbon unless you just want to. LB or Nextie are well proven manufacturers.

Edit: I used Durroc 50's on my Krampus. Very happy. (previously used Rabbit holes)

I've build wheels with scrapers, the tubeless interface is excellent but it's a pinned rim and a little inconsistent at times (while building). The ARC rims I've had good luck with on my cross bike and MTB's.

So like I said, if I was building new wheels that is the order in which I would choose the rims for a plus bike.
By Durroc - do you mean SunRingle Duroc 50, Bikeman Sun Ringle Duroc 50 Rim 29+ 32h Presta, Black ?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've been riding Nextie Crocodiles (internal 43mm / external 50mm) for almost 2 years now and they've been awesome. I don't recommend carbon initially because of the price, but I love mine.
Foolproof to lace, incredibly tough, and just a shade under 500g per rim.

Agree. My Nextie Crocodiles laced to Hope Pro 2's have been bullet proof for 2+ years now. They setup tubeless with Bontrager Chupacabras super easy and I have not had to touch them with a spoke wrench.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry to bump up an old thread. I'm looking for a tough 29+ rim for my rear wheel, trying to decide between the Dually and WTB KOM Tough i40. Any reviews on the latter? It's somewhat cheaper and much easier to come by where I live than the Velocity. I'm 210lbs, ride mostly off-road bikepacking, no crazy stuff.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,812 Posts
Go with the WTB. Better Tubeless interface. Good strong rim, I ride a bunch of their stuff. (I'm 210lbs)

Reactions: buffet
1 - 20 of 25 Posts