Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to build a new set of wheel for my 29er, I race in the single speed category, x/c only, weigh 175 lbs. Planning to use Hadley hubs, looking at Stans Arch Rims, but have seen varying reports, Yes I am planning to run tubless. Like to hear some suggestions on rims. Thanks Bob (price no object)

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
I just ordered set of Blunts. this is for my first set of wheels for a 29er, so I can't speak from experience. but from what i've read, most everyone seems very happy with them including a few locals who run them and they come in a variety of colors.

·
Registered
500 Posts
great rim

I've been running Stan's Arches on my SS for almost a year now. Live in southern AZ and do endurance races every other month or so. I weigh 175ish, before gear.
These rims have been great for me. I've never had a burp and they've remained true despite some long and rocky rides. I breifly had a pair of Blunts but running them tubeless was never confidence inspiring, they leaked air/sealant at the pinned joints.
I recently placed an order for a SS dedicated rear wheel and chose the Arch rim again. I'd highly recommend it :thumbsup:
Cheers,
M

·
Registered
919 Posts
Rob Mac said:
Planning to build a new set of wheel for my 29er, I race in the single speed category, x/c only, weigh 175 lbs. Planning to use Hadley hubs, looking at Stans Arch Rims, but have seen varying reports, Yes I am planning to run tubless. Like to hear some suggestions on rims. Thanks Bob (price no object)
Price no object, go Edge carbon! For XC race wheels you'd probably do fine with the 355 rims, otherwise I think the Arches would work well for you. I'm using the Flows, but am 195 and was looking for a heavier duty wheelset.

·
Registered
536 Posts
fallzboater said:
Price no object, go Edge carbon! For XC race wheels you'd probably do fine with the 355 rims, otherwise I think the Arches would work well for you. I'm using the Flows, but am 195 and was looking for a heavier duty wheelset.
+1 Edge carbon !
Don't know how well they work tubeless have heard bead flips over a bit easy on them.
That's not a problem with Stans. So I second Arches minimal weight gain about 120grams (about 20% of a pound and about 20% stiffer) per wheelset over the 355s. So with arches you can hit around 1700 gram or lighter wheel build weight. 355's make a wonderful light climber though. I have a pair (err 355s not edges :smile: but will build up a heavier all around set with Arches.) at 170lbs xc endurance style.

·
Registered
919 Posts
glovemtb said:
I second Arches minimal weight gain about 120grams (about 20% of a pound and about 20% stiffer) per wheelset over the 355s.
As a minor correction: 120g is more than 1/4 lb, or over 1/2 lb for two rims. That's a good place to save weight, if you can get away with rims that light. I like strong and reliable, so I'm using Flows, and even heavier rims on my road bike (Deep Vs), though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.