Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like a new sets of 29er wheels built.

There are not very many reviews on 29er rims on the products review side of MTBR.

I have gone thru the Lurkers thread several times and have seen the following rims on various bikes so I know guys out there must have opinions on some of these.

Dt Swiss TK 7.1
Salsa Delgado Cross
Salsa Delgado Disc
WTB Dual Duty
WTB SpeedDisc
Stans Notube:
ZTR Olympic
ZTR 355
ZTR Freeride I like the look of this one the most. Any body riding it?
ZTR Flow This would be my second choice.
ZTR Arch
I really like the look of the Stans ZTR rims.
They look well built and more sturdy than everything else out there.

[ I don't care about tubeless or not so please don't go into a long rant about your love or hate relationship with the whole tubeless thing. ]

Just the rims today please.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Rims have been discussed ad nauseam. Do a search, especially for posts involving mikesee. I did build a wheel with the ZTR FR rim...has been bulletproof and with reasonable weight.
-jon

·
Registered
392 Posts
Velocity has a new rim about to hit the streets. It's called the Blunt. IT is not eyeletted so you can use their Velo-plugs which will save you a bit of weight. It is not the lightest rim out there but also not the heaviest. It has a wider profile than their VXC so it should suit those who prefer the larger tire. IT is graphically very different from their other offerings. I have no complaints with the hoop and would recommend it. It is not tubeless.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
I have used the following rims:
Dt Swiss TK 7.1
Salsa Delgado Cross
Salsa Delgado Disc
Sun CR-18
As well as the Bontrager Disc rim that comes stock on a Rig.

I have have no trouble with any of the rims.

I my own building of wheels, I have used only the Delgado Disc, and the TK 7.1's. I found the Delgado Disc rims impossible to get into perfect dish, and overall a real pain to tension and true. The TK's built and trued by far the easier, even for a relative newby wheelbuilder.

You need to pick rims based on how you ride, what you weigh, and how hard you are on equipment. Match the rim to your needs. They all work pretty well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to rephrase the first question!
I have searched the threads and there are some discussions on rims here and there but not any on the Stans ZTR rims.
Looking for feed back on the Stans ZTR Rims.
Anyone riding any ZTR rim? Tubeless or not.
There are several bad reviews on these rims but they are on a lot of bikes and look good on paper.
I ride a spider 29 three to four times a week on nasty, rocky, rooty, single track, lots of two foot drops, obstacles, skinnies, and the like. I ride pretty hard and weight about 200 lbs
I don't want to have to baby a set of wheels yet I don't want my bike to weigh over 30 lbs

·
This place needs an enema
17,258 Posts
speeder3800 said:
I ride a spider 29 three to four times a week on nasty, rocky, rooty, single track, lots of two foot drops, obstacles, skinnies, and the like. I ride pretty hard and weight about 200 lbs I don't want to have to baby a set of wheels yet I don't want my bike to weigh over 30 lbs
Given all of the above info, you're a lock for the Stans ZTR Flow rims. You'll undoubtedly be tempted to use the lighter Arch, but given what you wrote about not wanting to baby them, I'd encourage you to use the Flow.

30lbs is just a number--how the bike rides and holds up is far more important.

MC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.