Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a KM frame and I am pricing a wheelset (I have an old tandem wheelset for now). I want a strong rim (weight doesn't matter) in black. I was thinking Rhyno light but Quality only has them in polished, I really want an all black wheelset. The delgado's look ok as do a some offerings form Alex. I would prefer 36 hole and sturdy, as I am a hard riding clyde (~210). This bike will be used to do most everything, including tight technical singletrack, but I'll stay away from bigger drops (that is what the 26" is for).

Thanks for the input,
Jared

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm surprised at how well the Alex TD17's have been holding up on my KM for the past 6 months. They are quite inexpensive, but appear to be of fairly good quality, I'm 240lbs and have been using the 32 hole model...mostly fast singletrack with a moderate amount of roots and rocks...a few hard hits and they're still straight with no flat spots. I might've gone with 36 hole if I thought that I was going to abuse them a bit more. I built the wheels myself to make sure they were done right for my weight.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
What he says. The TD17 (disc-only) weighs around 555g, and doesn't have to use it for a brake surface. The much-lauded Mavic 719 (former 519/520) is 565g with machines sidewalls, that are less effective in terms of weight/strength than a disc-only design of the same weight.
Perhaps Alex offers more black rims?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Bontrager Mustang, Salsa Delgados

I have great experience with the Mustang rims. V or disc compatible and weight in 460-500g.
Seem to be very strong so far and they are wide.

Salsa's are similiar but a little heavier at appr 550g. Nice rims and one of the cheapest (about $35-40 a rim)

For a clydedale, I think the build will make more difference than the rim. A crappy rim never helps but a wheel is only as good as the build.

14/15 spokes 3x in either 32 or 36h will suffice and a good builder is essential. Even/proper tension is the key to a durable wheel.

A super strong rim with a bad build will fall apart faster than a weaker rim with a good build.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Padre said:
I'm a really hard riding clyde at 240lbs naked.
My Rhynolites (black) have held up like crazy needing only one true since last november. Lots of rigid riding in their too...
32 simple holes has done the trick.
Agreed, I've been a hard ridin' racin' clyd most of my cycling career, with a few bouts down into the mid 190's, and I've never had trouble with 32 hole rims...trick, as someone said, is to have a well made wheel. I would get some straight gauge spokes, brass nips, and fuggitabouit

If you insisit on 36H, there was a set of King Disc/Sun 29ers on ebay the other day. It ended without any bidders, at 400 bucks. do an advanced search for ended items, you'll find it...contact the guy.

But I recommend a well made 32 H.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, I'm having a co-worker build the wheels for me and he is an excellent builder. I just want to maximize strength. I appriciate the input and will definately post some pics when I'm done.

I got the frame today and frame-savered it, and it awaits parts from other bikes. An early morning in the shop tommorrow should get her built.

Winky

·
Registered
8 Posts
clyde on a 29er

240lb. Just bought a GF 293 w/ discs and some upgrades. Currently running 32h wheels and am very happy, however; I have not taken it off any hard drops. Is this something I have to worry about with 32h wheels?

·
29er Pilot
101 Posts
Td17

I am running the TD17 32h @ 230lbs with "Real" hubs and the Exiwolf now, but Motoraptors in the past and they have held up to everything I have thrown at them for nearly a year. I will try a bit wider rim next go-round, but untill I break them I'm pleased with them. Like everyone says there inexpensive and strong. Lets face it, the "best" rim is the one you have on the bike. Ride it till it breaks.

·
Beer it does a body good!
250 Posts
Salsa's

I am about 300lbs and have ridden Salsa Degatos both single speed and geared. I ride a ridgid KM and rip some of the nastiest single track arround. Never a problem only trued the rear geared rim once. I have XT hubs 36 holes and three cross DT spokes all black spokes hubs and rims.

Greg, a clyde from Wisconsin

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
chance2 said:
240lb. Just bought a GF 293 w/ discs and some upgrades. Currently running 32h wheels and am very happy, however; I have not taken it off any hard drops. Is this something I have to worry about with 32h wheels?
I imagine it is hard to tell when comparing drops, riding styles, weights, wheel build quality and number of spokes per wheel. When ordering a custom set of wheels for my GF 293, I went with 36 spokes per wheel and my weight was in the Clyde category of 212 at the time. Since then I've dropped to around the 190 lb. area. I also have lots of hours of riding time on 24 spoke Mavic SpeedCity's which have been through about everything I can think of throwing at them (nothing more than 2 foot drops). Gotta say, though, those spokes on the SpeedCity's are about as thick as chopsticks. I also have a set of 28 spoke Bontrager Superstock Disc two niner wheels. Whether they are stronger, equal to or less strong than the SpeedCity's - who knows?

Just make sure you keep your wheels in tip top shape and inspect for cracks or any damage before every ride.

BB

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Me too!

Disco_Inferno said:
I am running the TD17 32h @ 230lbs with "Real" hubs and the Exiwolf now, but Motoraptors in the past and they have held up to everything I have thrown at them for nearly a year. I will try a bit wider rim next go-round, but untill I break them I'm pleased with them. Like everyone says there inexpensive and strong. Lets face it, the "best" rim is the one you have on the bike. Ride it till it breaks.
Td-17's here as well! I really have been impressed with these. I have 32 hole, avid disc, tubed, and Motoraptored set up. I had a run in with a curb and a couple of bad pot holes, all in the same ride. No pinch flats( tires 32 psi- me 240 lbs.), and no rim truing. I had another run in with an unseen 8x8 wooden parking barrier, ( riding home from band practice, and no lights! :eek: ) again no pinch flats, no truing. Big wheels carried me right on over it. These all were "dead head" hits. I thought for sure I had cased it too hard each time, but no problema. I built the wheels myself, so I guess I am to blame! :p I really am impressed with the way they have handled my lack of piloting abilities and would say these are the best bang for the buck out there.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
cronometro said:
I am about 300lbs and have ridden Salsa Degatos both single speed and geared. I ride a ridgid KM and rip some of the nastiest single track arround. Never a problem only trued the rear geared rim once. I have XT hubs 36 holes and three cross DT spokes all black spokes hubs and rims.

Greg, a clyde from Wisconsin
A rigid KM and a 300lb rider? Hmmmm..I'll need to see those pics....

I have a hard time believeing that frame would stay together under such a load... :confused:

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Padre said:
A rigid KM and a 300lb rider? Hmmmm..I'll need to see those pics....

I have a hard time believeing that frame would stay together under such a load... :confused:
Ask and ye shall recieve. Greg is what, about 6'7" or so. Real close to you Padre. I'm 6'5" and he's for sure taller than me. FWIW, I'm also well over the 210lb mark and have been quite happy on 32° Salsa Delgado's. DB spokes, 3x, brass nipples. Of course, there's no pics from the REAL raoccky trails, 'cause well, I was having too much fin riding to take pics. Guess you'll just have to trust us on that one...Come on up to Sconni, and we'll be glad to show you.

Attachments

·
markybrue
138 Posts
Salsa delgado

Winky said:
I just ordered a KM frame and I am pricing a wheelset (I have an old tandem wheelset for now). I want a strong rim (weight doesn't matter) in black. I was thinking Rhyno light but Quality only has them in polished, I really want an all black wheelset. The delgado's look ok as do a some offerings form Alex. I would prefer 36 hole and sturdy, as I am a hard riding clyde (~210). This bike will be used to do most everything, including tight technical singletrack, but I'll stay away from bigger drops (that is what the 26" is for).

Thanks for the input,
Jared
I have built 12 wheels with salsa rims. I have never had any problems with them. the are quite fast but very strong!

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
~martini~ said:
Ask and ye shall recieve. Greg is what, about 6'7" or so. Real close to you Padre. I'm 6'5" and he's for sure taller than me. FWIW, I'm also well over the 210lb mark and have been quite happy on 32° Salsa Delgado's. DB spokes, 3x, brass nipples. Of course, there's no pics from the REAL raoccky trails, 'cause well, I was having too much fin riding to take pics. Guess you'll just have to trust us on that one...Come on up to Sconni, and we'll be glad to show you.
Yep, he's a big boy. I just can't believe a KM is holding up to him!

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Padre said:
Yep, he's a big boy. I just can't believe a KM is holding up to him!
I don't think you can break a KM short of driving over it with a truck.

Annecdoatal wheel/clyde info: My big buddy, who is every bit of 300 lbs raced on crossmax's, and had no issues after a full season of abuse.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.