Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been looking around and ive seen a few but im wondering if there is a good 29er rim that is rim and disc brake compatible and has machined sidewalls.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,727 Posts
I've built a front wheel with the Velocity A23 and would definitely use it again as it's been bombproof on my rigid single speed. It's pretty light too.

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,727 Posts
I've used road rims for over a decade on my mtbs (both rigid, one a single speed) -- Velocity A23 (front), IRD Cadence (front), Mavic Open Pro (front and rear), Mavic Ksyrium (front), and DT Swiss TK7.1 (a "trekking" rim, rear). Only recently have I added an authentic MTB rim to my bike when I added a Lefty fork to my bike -- a Stan's Crest laced to a DT Swiss Lefty hub. None of the "road rims" ever really failed on the front, at least with respect to being knocked out of true, and they are very light. I have no issue with using road rims other than I do buy into the wider is better mantra, but even road rims are moving that way (as in the A23), so I'll continue to use them. My biggest issues have been pushing the low psi thing and dinging the rim, creating a bulge/flat spot that then interfered with rim brakes. The rear wheel is more fussy because of having more weight on it and taking more direct shots, but I've had good luck with the DT Swiss TK7.1 rim there. I've got one salted away waiting for my next build. My Ti custom frames were built for V-brakes (one is 10 years old, the other 8) and still work for me so I'll keep using the V-brake setup...

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If I were running anything wider than a 2.1" tire I'd use rims with at least a 19mm internal width. This comes from personal experience as I can still remember running my first set of 2.25" tires on a Mavic 317. The 17mm internal width made the tires very tall and cush but also very prone to rolling when going around corners which caused several crashes.

The Dual Duty XC and the Mavic A719 use 19mm width which does make a difference IME. But frankly for the price, the RhynoLite 700c is hard to beat for the price and width (21mm internal). They're not the lightest but not tanks either.

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,727 Posts
This comes from personal experience...
While I do like the wider rim, my personal experience with the relatively narrow road rims is that they work just fine. By the time I run at low enough pressure for them to "roll" on corners I'll have banged the rim on my rocky terrain enough to dent 'em up. It's definitely a YMMV thing at this point. There really wasn't much of a choice when it came to rims when I started on 29ers -- quality road rims were what we had available and they worked fine. And they still do for me...

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
SunRingle has a couple. I think the Rhynolite comes in 700c.
Yep, and the Sun CR18 is a touring bike/tandem bike rim.

I have a set of Bontrager Mustang 29er wheels that can take rim brakes.

Pretty much, just look for touring bike rims. I think Salsa makes one, too.

The real question is, why are you investing in rim brake bike stuff? Rim brakes on mountain bikes have been dead for nearly a decade. The last 29er frame I ever heard of that would even take rim brakes was the Astrix Monk, and that hasn't been made for like 6 or 8 years. The main problem with rim brake rims is that they have to make the sidewalls pretty tall to have a brake track. Tall sidewalls mean more pinch flats, or you have to run higher pressure to avoid pinch flats, so less traction.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Any 700c rim with machined sidewalls is both 29er and disc brake compatible. Just stick to 24mm and wider external widths. 29er rims are just wider 700c rims. You could run NMSW Deep Vs on a disc brake 29er if you wanted to. I met a guy who had Zipp 303 rims laced to disc hubs on a 29er with no issues. Thought about some Zipp Firecrest 404 as a cool project but the rims aren't available in 32/28h IIRC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm planning on making a wheelset for cyclocross and my mountain bike because my cross bike has canto brakes

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I'm planning on making a wheelset for cyclocross and my mountain bike because my cross bike has canto brakes
One thing to consider then is the spacing for the rear hub. Your MTB is most definitely 135mm...your CX frame may be either 130 or 135mm and is most likely 130mm if it is a canti-only frame and doesn't also have disc mounts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts