Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to mountain biking, after a 3 year hiatus from the road (triathlon/TT). I was riding 5x's a week up to 1,000 miles a month. Took the bike very serious.

Too many options out there in the mountain bike world between 26" to 29", hardtail or full suspension, SRAM to Shimano and then pivot points and what type of full suspension. Too much for me right now. I figure I'll just spend under $500 now and then spend $2,000+ once I know exactly what I need and want.

Q: Looking to just get my legs back and keep it simple and learn how to ride and take a line correctly. What is the best (in your opinion) single speed or monocog 29er out there for under $500. I've read about the GT Peace 9R Multi, Raleigh XXIX, Redline Monocog, and a few others. I know these bikes aren't too complicated, but I'd like to buy right and keep it as a training tool or upgrade it once I buy the race bike.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Another vote for the Monocog. Mine was under $600 including tax. At the time no one was offering any deals/discounts on these bikes...these days you should be able to negotiate the price a bit.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
SE Stouts are another option. I love mine. A wee bit heavier than some but they are tanks- even though SE is under Fuji now, I think they still keep with their BMX history making strong bikes.

·
Registered
2020 Salsa Horsethief; 2021 Surly Krampus
851 Posts
My vote goes to the Peace 9r Multi. Is an awful lot of bike for a really good price. I have a 2009 model. If you want gears, this is definitely the way to go. Perfomance has them on sale for $599 and you can usually find a coupon for another 10% off or so. Become a member for $25, get 10% store credit on the purchase. That's what I did. It comes with full Deore-level drive train, which is decent enough to get you started. It also comes standard with disc brakes (albeit Tektro discs), Shimano hubs/WTB rims and Easton bar/stem/post.

Again, if you want gears, I think this is the way to go.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
ricot83 said:
another vote for the $315 bike.... after being away from biking you dont wanna dump too much in anyway and that bike is awesome for the money.
geo appears to be very very close to the Monocog too. For that price you can pick up a few upgrades of your choice to personalize it too.

·
Registered
655 Posts
boomn said:
geo appears to be very very close to the Monocog too. For that price you can pick up a few upgrades of your choice to personalize it too.
I personally own the alum version of that dawes bike which is an SE racing stout from like 2008, and it rides awesome I didn't find One negative thing about the bike..... not one.

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
i picked up this bad boy for $300 on craigslist... first 29er and only got it casue my FS is in the shop (had to send fork back to manufacturer...:mad: ) I love it and Im sold... infact I just ordered a REBA for it yesterday!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Last month I was looking all over for a deal on a SS 29er (ended up with a Origin8 Scout..love it) and found a bike shop in Washington state that had a 09 D440 (monocog with SRAM X5 der/cassette) for $540. in 19". Try 206-242-7910. There was another shop somewhere near Tacoma that had a 07 D440 for $399...go to Redline and seach their dealer section. Great time to buy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought the Dawes Deadeye from Bikesdirect for $319.95. Picked up a carbon seat post, carbon stem and carbon handlebars all on eBay for under $70 total. Figure can't go wrong for now until I get my legs back.

Q: It comes with a 32 and a 18 in the back. What ratio could I use to ease it up a bit?
Q: Anyone have a set of BB7's they want to let go and some wheels?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.